'88 Bronco II with Gremlins

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Swamp Dawg

'88 Bronco II with Gremlins

Post by Swamp Dawg »

Hi I just purchased a 1988 BroncoII 4x4. Its giving me hell. I drove it roughly a month when I developed what I believed was a fuel issue. I replaced both fuel filters, both fuel pumps, ignition coil, plugs, wires & ignition module under distributor. The original issue was it was just dying while driving. This then turned into it would turn over but not crank. This ended up causing a drained battery so I replaced it too. After wearing my patience thin I opted to put it in the shop. The issue found by the mechanic was distributor link so he replaced. Shockingly, this was not the issue. He changed out the distributor and it did the trick.... I picked it up last Friday and drove it roughly 5 miles to the house. I went to crank it Sunday and and now its not even trying to turn over. I have power to my radio, windows, locks, break lights and hazards, but my headlights don't even come on weak. I heard this could be from the ignition lock cylinder. So I changed it next. Guess what, SAME DAMN THING, NOTHING!!! While I bought this as a project vehicle, I'm about to set it on fire!!!! :mad2: Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Swamp Dawg :beer:
tekatlarge

Re: '88 Bronco II with Gremlins

Post by tekatlarge »

I would first fix one problem at a time. Are you saying the headlights won't come on and the engine won't turn over? That sounds like a fundamental dead battery. You need to put a voltmeter on the battery to read battery voltage. Record on a piece of paper the voltage measured at the Battery terminals. Now turn the headlight switch on and see if the voltage you read in previous step is close to the same voltage 12.6 to 13.2 If the voltage stays at 12 volts then try the starter. Does the voltage drop way down if yes the battery is bad or you have a bad cable. Once you get your charging problems figured out then you can look at what else might ail the vehicle.
If I understand you correctly it sounds like a loss of system voltage because of a bad battery or bummed Alternator.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

As I was going to say here is an FYI on sudden electrical failure related to the ignition.

On the lower part of the steering column there is a large connector connected to the housing. The connector has been known to start separating where the plastic connector is attached to the housing. There are little metal tabs that holds the connector on and usually the tabs might break off or they get loose and when the connector slips loose all kind of strange electrical things happen. I have an article on my site but I can't remember where. Just go to my site and look about it isn't hard to find.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
Swamp Dawg

Post by Swamp Dawg »

I appreciate it! Im going to check the connector. I found a wire where the insulation had come off and it appeared to ground out. I repaired that wire. B2 started up and I drove about 15 miles. However, I lost power while driving and it killed on me (luckily I was able to coast off the road into a gas station). I had someone pick me up and bring me on to work. On the way home I stopped at Bronco and it started back up and was able to limp on back to the house.