88 bronco 2

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Jwj18

88 bronco 2

Post by Jwj18 »

Ok so to get started my 88 bronco 2 started to get hot and loose power and shut off so i replaced a couple bad hoses and the thermostat and it was running cooler but it still losed power after driving it for about 30 minutes it would start to run rough then when u would give it gas it would cut out and its getting fuel so i need help on figuring out what it is
tekatlarge

Re: 88 bronco 2

Post by tekatlarge »

Sounds to me like you have a blown head gasket or cracked head. If you overheat a 2.9 it is almost certain you will crack a head.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
duchie12

Post by duchie12 »

The shutting off is the ignition module on the back of the dist. ford has had that problem with the tfi ( thick film ignition). they will run until they get hot then shut off. You can do the ignition module relocate or just replace the module. They tend to run for shorter and shorter times as they age. Ive had the fun times also with the module. Drive thirty minutes then it would shut off. you can test it by get some ice and run it until it shuts off then melt hands full of ice on the module until cool and see if it starts.
Jwj18

Post by Jwj18 »

Instead of replacing the module i replaced the whole distributor and now the timing is off