84 Bronco 2 singing the blues

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
dyna94

84 Bronco 2 singing the blues

Post by dyna94 »

I am at a total lost as to the problem with my (R) passenger side rear tail light. It worked fine for a long time, and just all of a sudden stopped working. I am no dummy but this has got me stumped. All lights work except the right rear stop/turn signal light. The front flashes just fine, no problems with the left side. I pulled every fuse and did a check, all good, checked all bulbs again all good. Replaced the flasher unit just to be safe. Replaced the multi-function switch on the steering column, replaced the pig tail assembly from the connector forward. I have tail lights but for so darn reason I can't get the tail/stop light to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!
tekatlarge

Re: 84 Bronco 2 singing the blues

Post by tekatlarge »

I have had that happen before. I have seen 2 things cause that. The first is a faulty taillight ground wire. You need to check to see if the ground really is ground. If that checks then get this, it is in the turn signal switch assembly. If you look at a schematic you will see the turn signal switch assembly is right in the mess of things. What happens is one of the little contacts fails to make a certain connection and Bang no function. Of course it could be a million different things but I am really leaning to the Turn signal switch.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
dyna94

Post by dyna94 »

Isn't the turn signal switch combined with the Multi-Functional switch located on the steering column? If so then I replaced that so that is not the problem. I have tail lights to that side so I am assuming the ground is good as all wires to the light are grounded at the plug/connector. Only thing I haven't changed or check yet is the brake switch on the foot pedal. I was told by a friend it could be that. I will post if that is the problem so as to maybe help someone else. Any other advice or suggestions would be of great help.
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

OK before we start swapping stuff let's look at the enclosed Schematic of the Stop Turn Wiring on a B2.

Take a look and I have highlighted the signal path through the multifunction switch. inside the multifunction switch that signal is sent to two different terminals. one terminal for the front lamp and a separate terminal to the rear lamp. This is a real simple circuit. Just start at the switch with your voltmeter and move down stream and check every plug and connection.

Oh as an afterthought, Was that switch you replaced new out of the box or bone yard special? NEVER EVER expect a replacement part to be functional until you have checked its function personally! :mad2: It's just an everyday thing to find defective new parts as most is now made in China!

Class dismissed :wtf:
Turn_stop_hazard.jpg
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
dyna94

Post by dyna94 »

Thanks for all the help. After much work, taking apart the multi-functional switch and cleaning all contacts, running a continuity check on all bulbs and fusses, checking ground, and power wires, I found that I was not getting any power to the left rear turn/stop light. Tracing from the switch forward I found that I had no power once the wires went under the hood. Trying everything I could think of, I finally found that the connector plug had vibrated slightly apart (not noticeable) just enough to break contact, pushing the plug back together and taping it so as not to have that problem again, all is good in Montana Bronco land. Again thanks for the help
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

I am glad you found the problem. It always helps when you can look at the diagram and walk through it.

Enjoy
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington