What did you do with your Bronco II today?

What's new? Come on in and get to know the other Bronco II enthusiasts on the Forum.
Lance Skene

Re: What did you do with your Bronco II today?

Post by Lance Skene »

Havent had to do anything to the B2 in awhile now, drive it daily to work, tow a little trailer on the weekends picking up garden tractors, its been running great. I do have to change the latch posts for the rear hatch tho, one side has the plastic bushing worn right off so the door is rattling right now, was gonna do it one day and realized I didnt have the right size torx so have to pick that up first. With getting the garden in and the grass growing so fast this time of year I dont have much time for anything other than garden tractors, if Im not working with one then Im working on one.
'80 Bronco 351M
'85 BII 2.8/Duraspark
'89 F150 302 Supercab
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Well Well Well, What did I do to my BII today? Well I have working behind the scenes on My 2.9 For the BII.

This is a mild build and the only thing out of the ordinary is I am using 2.8 Flat Top Pistons I think. Anyway as all builds you have to start at the bottom So what I been doing the last few days you ask. Measuring everything and confirming what I have and the block will work. The Block is the most time consuming. I deburred, I Chamfered All of the oil return holes, Measured Lifter Bores, Measured Main Bores. I checked the deck for flatness and it is perfect While doing this I discovered this block is an October 1989 Casting. I examined everything up close and personal Looking for any imperfections or casting flash. I checked the block pan rails and all other gasket surfaces for straightness. I have 2 more measurements on the block to do before I go any farther. I need to check main bearing bore size and Cam bore diameter with bearings installed.

I am waiting on some Paint and a new can of Glyptal to come in and the block gets one last bath and scrubbing and a power dry then Glyptal Inside, Funky Ford Grey outside. If you want to follow the build you can on my Site under current Projects.

Tomorrow I think I am going to get the metal detector out and go see if I can find the Dana 28 in the south field..
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

It is amazing how time runs away when you are having fun. I have done the external paint on the 2.9L and have done the front timing case area in the Red #3 Glyptal. Oh I also have the lifter valley painted and I really like the look. I have the lower crankcase about 1/2 masked off and will probably finish that in the morning before it gets real hot.

In the meantime I have spent the last two days moving Bricks, Rocks and Blocks of wood and doing some land leveling in the back yard. The "War Dept" is demanding her Garden shed, Ah no Garden "Taj Mahal!" be finished soon. The last big push to clear this plot will be removing a cluster of stumps. I have been digging all around this clump of deciduous trees that have invaded the compound. This clump consists of at least 3 separate 4 inch diameter trees. The biggest one broke off about 20 feet of the ground 2 years ago and the other trees took over growing like Mad. The worst part of this is all of them are surrounded by berry vines an abandoned woodpile and everything else is covered in Ivy. My poor Crafty John is just chewing away at the vegetation and roots the best it can. It has been Hotter than hell setting exposed in the sun for hours working away at this. I need a vacation.. :hmmm:
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
deputyfestus

Post by deputyfestus »

Hi Tek, been working @ our little store 6 days a week and enjoying the dependability in my truck that I worked so hard for. I went to 33's though and was having a problem with clearance on the latch lever for the spare. So welded a threaded chrome rod extension and put an old 10 ball on it. Worked out great. It increased my leverage and now I can open it with one hand. Have a great day all.
uploadfromtaptalk1405517792174.jpg
Lance Skene

Post by Lance Skene »

Not much truck related goin on here lately, B2 is behaving nicely as the DD, F150 needs new rear tires before going camping in a couple weeks. Replacing all the decks on the house lately, tore them off last year to do some landscape work. Picked up a couple small tractors... one is a Ford 2N, the other a Cub LoBoy.

Hot here also... supposed to hit 31c today... makes it tough to do much of anything.
Attachments
Fleet1.jpg
'80 Bronco 351M
'85 BII 2.8/Duraspark
'89 F150 302 Supercab
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Well well well I have actually been doing some work although slowly. I am about to finish up the "Heads From Hell" this week. I am in the process of hand lapping each valve and the next step will be springs, retainers and keepers. All the painting has been done on the heads and final assembly will be a thing of wonder. ha ha ha hah

I am trying to balance re arranging the shop, working on the heads, finishing the great shed project, and starting to layout parts for the 27T. This has been one busy summer. Its looking like a busy fall ahead. I just hope this summer like weather holds..But what the heck anytime working for yourself is still better than any time in the 9 to 5..
:cool:
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

I hate it when my Summer runs AMOK.

I took a big breath of air finishing the Shed Projects and was going to get back to the B-II heads.

Then Disaster strikes with the F-150. Been having a random oil lite going on for about 6 months. Then came the overheat indication and loss of coolant. After doing long overdue maintenance replacing some obvious parts I thought I had it fixed and then :puke: :puke: :puke: From the radiator and limp mode initiated. I get it home and due some more in depth research and finally came to the realization that I had "The Dreaded 4.6L head gasket failure"

The only thing financially viable was to do this job myself. The big problem was as most of you know I spend about 80% of my time in a wheelchair. I get around well enough that I can do just about anything I want if I can stand the pain long enough. This 150 posed a problem of how to get access to the motor and after brainstorming I created a small platform that set across the engine bay. A small piece of plywood and some foam and I am good to go.

The physical part of this job was going to be difficult enough but Ford had to throw in their own set of challenges on top. This is a SOHC 4.6L V8 you know the "Mod Motor". Well there is very little room to get to intake bolts and heater hoses and a million other little things off and out of the way. The F150 in 97 has the motor set back under the cowl about 1/2 way. I just kept plugging away and now I am getting ready to pull the heads but first have to install $280.00 worth of specialized tools and holders and crank holders to keep the timing set. I am still up against one more dreaded task and that is to remove the exhaust Flange Bolts so the heads can come out. Maybe 1 more day of screwing around with this POS and I can get ready to put it back together!! I am not taking any chances when this is going back together. All premium parts and if something is looking even slightly worn it is getting replaced. New Plugs,wires, etc. I have the heads going to a Pro shop for testing and milling if necessary and all the valves gone through. When this truck is back together I plan to never ever again tear this SOB down in the vehicle again. You know I heard and saw a picture of a Ford dealership where they lifted the cab forward off of the chassis so they could get to the engine.. They said they can pull the cab and do the job in less time than it takes to do the heads in the vehicle. I was quoted 16hrs labor alone plus parts to do my truck. Now you see why us limited income folks need to be resourceful..

Finally my advice to anyone doing this job.... Let someone else do it unless you are really into pain big time.. Oh and Have Fun boys and girls.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Lance Skene

Post by Lance Skene »

Tek Im a bit confused with your calling that a "Mod Motor"... is it a 351M in a '97 truck? Thats the only ford engine Ive known to be nicknamed "Modified" although Ford never intended the "M" to designate any particular name, and I thought that engine was discontinued in '81, Thats the factory engine in my 1980 Bronco, its basically a 351 Cleveland bottom with 400 top end.

In B2 news... Im almost ready to pull the engine out of my parts truck and get started on my next DD, that will be the Blue one in the middle, the rusty gray one is my current DD but the body is junk, the furthest blue one is also rusty but has the motor I need.
Attachments
3BII2.JPG
'80 Bronco 351M
'85 BII 2.8/Duraspark
'89 F150 302 Supercab
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Hey Lance Hows things?

Here is something I stole from wikipedia.
The Ford Modular engine is Ford Motor Company's overhead camshaft (OHC) V8 and V10 engine family. Contrary to popular belief, the Modular engine did not get its name from its design or sharing of certain parts among the engine family. Instead, the name was derived from a manufacturing plant protocol, "Modular", where the plant and its tooling could be changed in a few hours to manufacture different versions of the engine family.[1] The Modular engines are used in various Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury vehicles. Modular engines used in Ford trucks were marketed under the Triton name from 1997–2010 while the InTech name was used for a time at Lincoln for vehicles equipped with DOHC versions of the engines. The engines were first produced in Romeo, Michigan but additional capacity was added in Windsor, Canada.

Most people call these "Mod Motors" and the common 2 are the 4.6L (280 CI) and the 5.4L (329 CI).

I have the 4.6 in the F150 and I have the 5.4 in my 08 Econoline..

These things are not that bad to work on if you have all the special tools and you can get to the engine. That's my problem is this motor is buried deep in the engine compartment. This body style was new that year and the engine compartment is like a cave. It has the cowl reaching over the the engine by about 10 inches. It makes getting to the back of the engine damn near impossible.

Have I said how much I dislike working on this truck.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Lance Skene

Post by Lance Skene »

Ok that sorts it out for me, too new for me I guess, Ive never heard anyone mention a 'modular' engine so I was confusing it with the 351M which is often referred to as 'modified'.
'80 Bronco 351M
'85 BII 2.8/Duraspark
'89 F150 302 Supercab
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Oh you don't know how much I wish this thing was as simple to take apart as a 351. This Overhead Cam motor is big Wide and held together with no less than 10 million tiny bolts upon tiny UN-Accessible bolts. Then to replace a heater hose you need a special tool to release the hose connector.. It is a connector similar to a fuel hose connector but not the same! I figure I may finish this bugger by Christmas. I ain't going out there today at all I am F150ed out!!! :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Well Well Well,

Here it is a month later and I am still working on the F150 from Hell. Many delays and a week of the "Ginky Fever" has slowed progress tremendously.

I am progressing along and may go out and do some work on the truck today as I am getting close to finish this bugger! I sent the heads in for R&R and they did a beautiful job refurbishing them. Valves ground and head checked for cracks and the deck resurfaced and they were almost to pretty to put them back on the grimy motor. So the heads are back on and torqued to specs. (I am hating torque to yield bolts) I have new cam chains and sprockets and tensioners installed and now am on to all the little stuff. There is still a ton of stuff to be done before the job finished but the worse part is done. This little job has set a record for me in the slowest head repair I have ever done. My joke about being done by Christmas is starting to come back to haunt me. If I ever have to do anything like this again I am just going to either pull the nose off the truck or yank the engine trans combo and fix it like that.

So with being sick and stuck with this job nothing has been done on the B-II and the 27T hasn't made any progress at all. I did buy something for the T and that was a Radiator grill shell. I have no idea what it started life as because someone hand built the shell out of pieces. I like the style and I think after some clean up and a nice sinister black paint job it will look good. Here is a picture or two of it as I got it.

Oh also forgot to mention last week my main #1 computer decided to commit suicide. It couldn't just be a simple hard drive failure, No it had a Motherboard failure. This computer had served me well but it was getting old just like me. rather than replace the MB I decided it was time to upgrade the whole thing. I bought a New Asus MB and 16Gig Ram, AMD A-10 quad core processor, 2gig Ge Force video card, and a couple Terra bytes worth of Hard Drive and a Brand new 64Bit edition of Win 7. Now all that is left is to get it set the way I like things..

Well it is back to slaving away today so I can get this wrapped up. Don't work to hard out there!!
Attachments
Measurements.jpg
00e0e_4wIjZsx0pp_600x450.jpg
00e0e_4wIjZsx0pp_600x450.jpg (30.61 KiB) Viewed 7287 times
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Time to celebrate!!!
The Dreaded F150 from Hell is finally complete! I wrapped it up yesterday morning.

Something I want to say here is unlike these car shows on TV when I turned the Key it started right up and after about 15 seconds it smoothed right out and ran beautifully. So far and I hope I don't jinx this project no Leaks, No missing parts all back to Factory Specs, and runs perfect. I will add that getting the air bubbles trapped in the cooling system out at first looked to be a daunting task, then I stumbled on a Kool idea! I have a 2 gallon pressurized brake fluid jug and I cleaned it out real good and filled it with antifreeze. I then used one of the master cylinder caps that come with the kit and attached it to the degas bottle. I then removed the radiator overfill hose from the degas tank . I pumped the coolant into the motor and forced the air out. It worked great and was mess-less.

This job has taken me the longest to ever rebuild a top end at right about 2 months. It is a real wake up that I am getting old. I do know I will never try this type of job in the vehicle again unless I can be hung from a sky hook. This truck is impossible.

My last task on this vehicle today is to go to DMV and get the License tags. After running around the block once yesterday I drove the 10 miles to the vehicle emissions test place and it passed with flying colors. Alas I can get back to the B2 heads and start serious work on the 27 TCoupe.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Lance Skene

Post by Lance Skene »

Im about ready to pull a couple B2s in and swap an engine, spent the weekend rearranging the shop and assembling the engine hoist. Hope to get it out and onto the stand before xmas so I can clean it up, set valves, check for leaks, and paint it while Im off work for ten days.

Bronco II #4 is being delivered on wed, basic '84 5spd 4x4, someone didnt keep up the storage lot fees so I got a good price on it... wont decide on what to do with it until I check it over good... maybe parts... maybe his and hers... maybe just clean it up for resale. No keys so I didnt even bother to go look at it, saw some pics and made the deal over the phone. I have extra locks with keys so it wont take long to find out what I bought. Its complete and original so Im sure I'll be able to make good use of it
'80 Bronco 351M
'85 BII 2.8/Duraspark
'89 F150 302 Supercab
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Lance, Hey Buddy good to see ya back!!!

Sounds like you been busy yourself. Another B II? I would love to have another for a source of parts. Ah but I don't have the luxury of just parting one out at my leisure. If I add another vehicle or project I would be in deep stuff!! Know what I mean?

Now that the F150 is done I am going to try and get the 2.9 for the B II finished. I am also going to get the T frame ready for some serious work. It is soon going to be just to cold to work in the shop. I do not have any sort of ceiling in the shop just rafters and roof. Being open and not insulated I lose heat like a fire hose on water! Oh and the soffit's have the blocks with round holes so it is a loosing exercise to keep the heat in. I went through quite a bit of oil in the 150 project. My tank is 100 Gallons #2 diesel. I started the project with about 20 gallons and ran out so had to order more. I told them my tank was labeled 100 gallons but the first time it was filled a few years ago the guy put in 97.6 gallons. That was full. When I filled it the other day they squeezed in 97.8 gallons. I guess I was empty!

Hey I was looking at a old Massey Harris a few days ago and was interested at first as the guy wanted $750 for it. Pictures did not show "The real tractor" The one for sale had so many missing parts it should have been classified as a box a parts and not a complete tractor! Oh well that's Craigslist for you!!

Don't forget to drop in once in a while..
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington