Mig Gas

Real world tips and tricks for the do-it-yourself ethusiast. Tools and parts that make life easy, and simple fabrication tips and tricks.
Nobody

Mig Gas

Post by Nobody »

I think I'm going to buy a gas bottle for me 110 wire feed welder. What % argon should I get, and what size bottle would you recommend? Should I stick with .035 for exhaust work?(16 guage)
EBSTEVE

Post by EBSTEVE »

I like 75/25 gas and you can stay with .o35 but I would go smaller if I was to buy more say .o23 but I did my exhaust with .o35.
HTH
Ranger 5.o, needing another project like Rosie O'Donnell needs another M&M.
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

I am going to let out one of my secrets for welding thin sheet steel like floors fenders etc...

Check out this link for this stuff!

New JW Harris "20-Gauge" Cored Welding Wire-.030"-10lb

I know this isn't mig but sometimes simple is better.

This is a cored wire that will give you impressive results

http://stores.channeladvisor.com/weldsa ... k=72887138
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
ranger5.0

Post by ranger5.0 »

I found that running .023 made hotter nicer welds with longer duty cycles over the .035 and/or .030.
EBSteve just likes to watch me break things.:-)
420HP and 775Ft lbs Now it is time to break things.
deputyfestus

Re: Mig Gas

Post by deputyfestus »

I have a nice 12 yr old Century 110 v gassless. I don't have power to my little workshop so I run a cord from the back of the house where the hot tub used to be. Its a 12 guage HD cord but is 50' long. Will a shorter cord produce less voltage drop and therefore better penetration on my welds? Tried.030 and .035. Both about the same. Thanks.
tekatlarge

Re: Mig Gas

Post by tekatlarge »

I think it may be a bit long for optimum operation. I run my millermatic 185 some times on a 25 foot !0Ga "Extension cord". Of course that is 220v. it doesn't run as well as plugged into its plug below the main Panel.

I think 100ft is excessive distance to try and pull any amperage. A 110 welder needs every amp it can get. If it gets all the amps it needs it's happy and welds look good. If the voltage drops on the input the machine will be real hard to get a arc to start and could cause sticking and blowing.

One other quick tip. If your wire has been outside like in a cold garage for any time, The wire will build a surface rust that causes problems because the feed roller assembly which usually makes the electrical connection to the feed wire. The rust will cause hi resistance and will be hard to keep a arc struck because of inconsistency of the current.

When I am going to do some tacking or welding and I haven't used the welder in a while, I sometimes take a piece of scotch brite and roll about 10 feet or so of wire. I roll the wire back up holding it between the scotch brite pads and that way I start out with good connections right out the door.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast