Heart surgery

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Bronka II

Heart surgery

Post by Bronka II »

G'day from Canada!

My 84 BroncoII is getting new/old heart replacement! 2.8l gas engine after 240000 miles makes me cry every time I'm pulling into gas bar. Basically I'm driving from one gas station to another.260 miles per tank.So time has come to do some mathematics and I decided to go Diesel. 6 month of search and I'm proud owner of 2.3l mitsubishi 4D55 TDI, Tranny and transfer case from 125000 miles ( reported by seller) 87 Ranger.
Here the real fun starts: the pull was performed by someone rather in the hurry than with ability to predict future troubles.All cables and hoses cut with the knife, no electronics, no intercooler either. Even gear shift stick was cut with hacksaw (most likely the knob wouldn't go trough the hole in the floor).
This is just reporting not complaining!

I'm facing total luck of information! Diesel Rangers/Bronco IIs were not sold in Canada. Nobody has a clue about their existence.
PLEASE!! if any one has Electrical Diagrams, any info, any advice any directions, web links or so please share!
tekatlarge

Re: Heart surgery

Post by tekatlarge »

I have seen an attempt or two trying to install a Diesel into a Ranger/Bronco vertical but I have never seen a completed project.
I think the main stumbling block was the height of the diesels. They couldn't fit the motor in because of height restrictions. Although one of them small Mitsubishi motors may fit.

To me the biggest hangup would be transmission and transfer case. Will the Mitsu diesel bolt up to a B2 bell housing. If you use the mitsu gearbox and transfer case does it come out in the correct location.

These are just a few of the few problems. As for wiring there shouldn't be much of a problem. Unless it is an electronically computer controlled engine. If so then you will need to graft the donor harness into the B II.

As far as I now there were NO Diesels installed in Ranger Bronco II vehicles.

If you need electrical drawings on the Ranger/Bronco II I have some on my Web Site at http://tekatlarge.org/Automotive-Technical-Library.php I hope that helps. BTW Welcome to the site and I hope to hear more about Diesel Engine in a "RBV". I know there are some members hiding in the shadows here that are waiting for someone to do this. Good luck and keep us informed.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
shazbot

Post by shazbot »

Heres a video of a cummins in a b2

Sorry I know nothing about diesle
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

That looks like a pretty good fit for that Cummings! I think that is the first one I have seen running so far. :cool:
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
drofman

Post by drofman »

Wow