rear hatch handle

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
treel98

rear hatch handle

Post by treel98 »

ok so i have a 1990 bii the eddie bauer edition and just the other day after i wired it for my subs the twist handle for the rear hatch came undone :mad2: it can be pulled out and just jiggles around it wont come all the way out tho i can push in real hard and it will open the hatch but i need to fix this asap i could use any tips but would prefer detailed instructions on how to fix this

tyler
Yeti

Re: rear hatch handle

Post by Yeti »

The little actuator inside the hatch comes loose after time. The only fix I'm aware of, which I have done myself is to install a early 90s Explorer handle. It has about a 1/4" more length so it makes better contact with the handle inside the hatch. The only thing required is you have to drill the Broncos mounting hole out / make the hole bigger to fit the Explorer handle. Works great!
Gerry

Re: rear hatch handle

Post by Gerry »

You've probably already found a fix but for what it's worth: I had the same problem so I went online to a site that puts your request out to thousands of wrecking yards all over the country. I started to get dozens of e-mails from different ones who had the tailgate part. I picked the one that seemed the most professional by the way they responded, etc., called them, chatted and ordered the part. They sent, in a long cardboard box, the entire assembly (handle as well as right and left rods and latches). I removed the inside panel and replaced the whole mechanism - it all works great now. However, I'm very careful now to turn the hand only clockwise and to lift the gate from the bottom (not by the handle itself!!). Actually it might be wise to bolt a separate lift handle on the tailgate. BTW, I keep this car down in Los Cabos, Mexico where there are tons of old BII's - most of which have a hole where this handle should be!!