Buying a BII

What's new? Come on in and get to know the other Bronco II enthusiasts on the Forum.
BamaBronco2

Buying a BII

Post by BamaBronco2 »

Just in the process of buying a BII. 90 model 4x4 XLT. It's a bone-stock vehicle, and that has an appeal to me, however, I've seen what can be done to these trucks, and they can be made into really competent 4-wheelers! Wow! I have to admit that I'm amazed at some of the stuff I see you guys doing on YouTube. Holy wow! You guys have some serious cajones! :beer:

On my truck, I'm thinking that I'd like to put some bigger tires on it (right now it has 225 x 15's). The tires are 100% street tires...only bad thing is that they're in really good shape, so I figure I'll drive the truck with them on for a while. My understanding is that the stock steel wheels on my rig are 15x7's. Couple of questions:
1) What is the biggest tire I could go with on a bone stock truck and not have the tires rub/etc.
2) I'm thinking that ideally, I'd like to do something like a 31 x 10.5 or something like that. Would I need to do a lift in order to accomodate that tire?
3) If I do need to do a lift, should it be a body lift or a suspension lift?

Sorry for the really basic questions. I've had several 4x4's, but have never done much actual muddin' and I think the time has come for me to get a little dirty. :tongue2:
Mud Addict

Re: Buying a BII

Post by Mud Addict »

To fit the 31's, get coils and leafs from an Explorer. that will raise you about 2in's :beer:
BamaBronco2

Post by BamaBronco2 »

Mud Addict wrote:To fit the 31's, get coils and leafs from an Explorer. that will raise you about 2in's :beer:
Is it as simple as that? No other concerns with steering driveline binding? If so, that's awesome. Thanks!
BamaBronco2

Post by BamaBronco2 »

This is a pic of the 90 B2 I'm buying. Really looking forward to digging in and doing some work on this badboy!
Attachments
90 B2
90 B2
Mud Addict

Post by Mud Addict »

Don't need to extend drive lines till you get to 6in of lift :beer:
RAZOR

Post by RAZOR »

:usa:
Last edited by RAZOR on Fri May 03, 2013 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RAZOR

Post by RAZOR »

Nice ride, five speed?
dgl6y6

Post by dgl6y6 »

BamaBronco2 wrote:
Mud Addict wrote:To fit the 31's, get coils and leafs from an Explorer. that will raise you about 2in's :beer:
Is it as simple as that? No other concerns with steering driveline binding? If so, that's awesome. Thanks!
Almost that simple, you will need some drop down brackets for the control arm pivot points in the front. unless you want a crapload of positive camber.

I havent lifted mine yet but it looks like the front driveshaft would hit the crossmember between the radius arm brackets. of course to do the lift right you should drop down brackets for the radius arms too

also your sway bar will be less effective since the trailing arms will be more vertical unless you chop and extend the links.

I went up to 235/75/15 and they just barely rub the sway bar when i turn full lock. I do some causal mudding now and again and I always end up pulling out somebodys jeep cherokee haha

This is a picture of my BII a couple years ago when i had some mud tires in 235/75/15. they fit great with no lift and i could go anywhere no sweat.
Attachments
bronco at river.JPG