This has nothing to do with Bronco II

Real world tips and tricks for the do-it-yourself ethusiast. Tools and parts that make life easy, and simple fabrication tips and tricks.
tydaug

This has nothing to do with Bronco II

Post by tydaug »

My "garage" as I'm calling it-- has no power. I need to get some light in there.

I have a car battery sitting around and a light fixture and switch. Can I put a 12 volt dc bulb and circuit it up to the battery?? will it burn my barn down or what? Fuses?
clem

Re: This has nothing to do with Bronco II

Post by clem »

Try it, see if the wires get hot, if not go for it,(I except no responsibility for this). I would think you would drain your battery fairly quickly. :redneck:
'87 bII d44,9",np435/205and a 302 ( on hold)
'73 vw bug
'70 vw camper van
'98 jeep tj
2010 ranger
'56 international s110
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

If you have a little cash I would recommend you look around and maybe on
Craigslist for a small gas generator. I found a 1500 watt generator for 100 bucks for a friend and then all ya got to do is get out the extension cord.

Of course there is the matter of the 100 bucks, if ya ain't got the funds then run back 10 yrds and punt. Actually what Clem said is the simplest.

Take a tail lamp bulb and socket and hook it to your battery. with a good battery you should get several hours of light. Do NOT use a HID bulb or a headlight or something real bright it will draw a lot of current making you battery go flat quickly and possibly heating wires.. Also remember the longer the wire to your bulb is the more of a chance to overheat your wire.

Have fun.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
clem

Post by clem »

A small generator will give you service for years for the cost of a new battery or batteries. Lets face it a battery is a consumable item whereas a generator is a investment and you can still start your rig after you fix it. :D
'87 bII d44,9",np435/205and a 302 ( on hold)
'73 vw bug
'70 vw camper van
'98 jeep tj
2010 ranger
'56 international s110
303lithgow

Post by 303lithgow »

Buy a candle. Except if you are working on your gas tank!
1986 Bronco II, base 4wd, auto
1990 Bronco II, XLT, 5 speed
1970 F250 Camper Special
1967 Kit Companion Camper Trailer
dtrevillian83

Post by dtrevillian83 »

Or if you want to go "Green" you can pick up a solar power kit from harbor freight. They're around $200 if you can pick one up on a sale and they're relatively easy to install. You can also use that battery as a cell to increase your energy storage cap.
dgl6y6

Post by dgl6y6 »

hooking up a 120 bulb to a 12v battery wont set any fires. it has a much higher resistance than a 12v bulb so less current goes through. It probably wont make much light if any though