Engine chocking when accelerating

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Dozer

Engine chocking when accelerating

Post by Dozer »

Hi everybody. I need your help.
My Bronco ii is a 1988 2.9 lts V6 fuel injection XLT. Recently I have done a tune-up (I have done many times). I replaced the spark plugs (set the gap to the car specifications), distributor cap, rotor and all cables. I also used dielectric grease. Nothing else was changed.
As soon the work was done I took the car for a test drive and I started noticing the engine jerking at any speed. I wonder what possibly went wrong. The problem has to be related to the work done but I don't know where to start the troubleshooting. I checked everything again with not avail. Somebody suggested to replace the fuel filter. I was sure that the fuel filter wasn't the problem but I did it anyway. No changes.
I would appreciate any suggestions on how to proceed.
Best regards all.
Dozer
dgl6y6

Re: Engine chocking when accelerating

Post by dgl6y6 »

If you used motorcraft plugs (highly recomended) they are available in the correct gap(.044) and shouldnt need re gapping. I know you said you checked everything but did you really check EVERYTHING?

torque on plugs
Cap on tight
all plug wires snapped on all the way
wires not touching exhaust manifold
timing checked?

dont get mad- are the wires on in the right order? lol

ps: lets see some Bronco pics!!
Dozer

Post by Dozer »

Hi dgl6y6, thank you for your input.
The wires are in the right order, no offense taken :-)
I didn't check the timing. Excuse my ignorance but I didn't mess with the timing at all, so how could it change? Besides, I don't have the tools to work on that.
I when over again (no torque wrench). Spark plugs are tight, so is the cap. Made sure the cables snapped all the way. Somehow now there is a difference for better.
Still I can feel some hesitation when I push the gas, but it is nothing compared with how annoying it was before.
May be I should recheck the gap or buy Motorcraft spark plugs?
Cheers,
Dozer
Attachments
Bronco ii-1988_ White Rim Utah.jpg
dgl6y6

Post by dgl6y6 »

if the distributor lock down bolt was loose you could have turned the distributor slightly while changing the cap and/or plug wires. the hesitation on acceleration sounds like retarded timing. You might want to borrow a timing light and check it. let me know if you dont have a manual i can tell you how.
btw nice looking truck. ive had mine since it turned 16. im 26 now and its the only thing ive ever drove. lol
Dozer

Post by Dozer »

Thanks dgl6y6
I will check the timing and let you how it works.
I bought my Bronco ii in 1993 and still goes, I love it. I found out that this engine was built in Germany. Weird.
Dozer
drofman

Post by drofman »

Don't forget to remove the spout when you set the timing.