wont start, need help

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
tedjames11

wont start, need help

Post by tedjames11 »

ive got an 87 bronco ii, it wont start, when I turn the key the starter solenoid clicks once then the truck looses all power for a few minutes then it comes back. the solenoid is brand new and I got my starter bench tested and it works fine, the starter is grounded. Im stumped, any ideas?
tekatlarge

Re: wont start, need help

Post by tekatlarge »

sounds like a bum connection on one of the battery terminals. It could also be a battery with a bad plate connector. Check your cables, and have your battery load tested.. That should put some light on it.

A word of caution about batteries. Take care to keep your face and eyes protected when connecting or disconnecting a battery. Especially when jump starting. This comes from real experience. I was looking at a apparent dead battery. My late brother went to crank the engine and the battery exploded in my face. I was lucky as I wear glasses and they saved my eyes. I looked like I had chicken pox for a while but I survived. The battery had a broken cell connector and we had been charging the battery. That produced maximum explosive hydrogen in the battery and when Phil went to try and engage the starter that broken connector sparked inside the battery. The rest is history and a lesson learned.

Lets play safe out there! :cool:
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
dgl6y6

Post by dgl6y6 »

the fact that it shuts off for a couple min makes me think of the circuit breakers in the fuse box. i dont remember what they are for off the top of my head but if they are for the ignition/starter, and you have a short in the starter wire it would act like that.
drofman

Post by drofman »

There is no C/B for the starting system (only lumber support, w/shield wiper, power windows). I have to agree with Tex. And by the way, How are you doing Tex? Hope all is well with you and yours. I did the 187 miles of the Mojave road in CA this weekend (well took Friday and Monday off as a V-Day) in the FX4 cause the B2 dead right now. Didn't take any pictures so didn't want to start as post. Didn't want to get off track but may be a Battery. Have it load tested like Tex said.
Mudhog1977

Post by Mudhog1977 »

I agree with tec battery cables change them and you should be good even if that's not the problem they are cheap and easy to change it will never hurt mine did the same thing turned out the ground cable was bad 5 mins to change and I was done
Live to ride, ride to live, thats how I roll