Need advice!

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
new2b2s

Need advice!

Post by new2b2s »

hey guys, i'm new here and i am thinking about buying a bronco II but it needs a water pump replaced, how hard is it?
i'm only 16 and this will be my first project. thanks !
jefe

Re: Need advice!

Post by jefe »

I'd say if that's the only thing wrong with it, then go for it.....it will be a little work to get to the water pump....for the 2.9L, water pump is on the front of the engine behind the fan and drivebelt pulley.....so you'll have to drain the coolant, remove the fan shroud, remove the fan (I borrowed a special tool kit for this from my local CarQuest, free as long as you bring it back)....loosen the alternator and a/c pivot bolts up enough in order to remove the belts, then remove the drivebelt/water pump pulley in order to get to the water pump bolts.

Removing a few other things might make life easier too like the air intake duct.

Be careful with the water pump bolts as I had a few break off on me being so old.

Make sure you get a new gasket on there as well.

First thing worth buying would be a manual to learn from and follow.

Good luck!
Mudhog1977

Post by Mudhog1977 »

LOTS OF PB BLASTER ON THE BOLTS AND OFTEN, if you feel the bolts binding up slowly screw them back in and work them back and forth before loosing them some more they break easily
Live to ride, ride to live, thats how I roll
astrowolf67

Post by astrowolf67 »

I just put one on my 86 2.9 a few weeks ago. I have to say, it's the hardest one I've ever done. I ended up having to pull the pump, pulley, clutch and fan as one unit, because the fan nut was frozen on the old pump shaft. I spent a total of about 6 hours on it. had I been able to get that fan, clutch, and the pulleys out of my way removing the old pump, it would have only taken a couple of hours at most.

Being your first project, if you are nervous about it, I might suggest keeping a digital camera close by. Take pics as you progress, then, if you need to , you can look at the pics as you reassemble everything.

If the price is right, and all it needs is the water pump, I'd say go for it. I've had mine a year and a half now, and love it.

David