Engine Starting Problems

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
timsparrow69

Engine Starting Problems

Post by timsparrow69 »

I removed my distributor so I could replace it but I didn't set the engine to top dead center and now the distributor will not mesh up properly with the cam gears and oil pump. any help would appreciated.
tekatlarge

Re: Engine Starting Problems

Post by tekatlarge »

If you think the distributor is in the right place then bump the engine over slighty. Just a little will do. What is stopping the distributor is the oil pump drive shaft. It is hex shapped and meets in the bottom of the distributor.
It sounds like maybe something got bumped when it was apart of your 1 tooth off 1 way or another.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
timsparrow69

Post by timsparrow69 »

ok so try turnin the crankshaft jus a little so the gears and shaft match correctly?
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

You got the idea... :cool:
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
lmtpop

Post by lmtpop »

i am having the same trouble. did bumping the engine over slightly help with the installation? this is what i figured has happened but with the distro out i did not want to move the engine and risk timing issues later.
kirkland2887

Post by kirkland2887 »

This is what i do. seat the distributor. as you pull up on it, the shaft and rotor turn as it raises. it takes a couple of minutes bit it works. seat the distributor. if the rotor isnt pointing where it needs to, raise the distibutor. do so slowly so you can feel the gear un-mess. move one tooth over. make sure you keep the rotation the same. the distibutor wont seat on every tooth, but every time it does, the oil pump shaft will turn when you raise it. keep going till you get sweet spot.