Fuel problems

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Zackman6

Fuel problems

Post by Zackman6 »

So my 86 was runnin like a champ then one day it wouldn't start when I was going to work. I noticed the fuel pumps weren't kicking on when I turned the key on, so I just went all out and decided to replace both fuel pumps, the relay (fuel and ignition) and the fusible links (noticed 2 of them had holes in the insulation), and about 2 months ago I replaced the in line fuel filter, now $300 later the pumps kick on just fine but I'm still not getting fuel, I disconnected the fuel lines from the pressure regulator and didn't get a drop when I turned it over. I'm completely stumped! And in desperate need of a solution, this is my only vehicle, any ideas or input will help

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2
Zackman6

Re: Fuel problems

Post by Zackman6 »

Just replaced the fuel pressure regulator, still no gas to the engine, I'm at a complete loss

jgarza

Post by jgarza »

Check the inertia switch if you have one. Under the dash. Passenger seat. Where your feet would go.
Zackman6

Post by Zackman6 »

I've checked it, unplugged it, reset it, even gave it a few love taps, nothing changes. If the inertia switch is bad would my pumps still kick on when I turn the key on?

jgarza

Post by jgarza »

Um I don't know. I know my switch is either bad or messed up. So I don't know how it works.
UndeadBronco

Post by UndeadBronco »

The switch is 2 wires. Inside the box is a metal funnel and a metal ball that is slightly magnetized. When the ball is in the funnel current flows and thus the pumps work. When the ball is kicked out of the funnel by a hard jolt there is a lever that catches the ball and suspends it above the funnel untill the white button is pressed to release the lever and thus reset the switch. If you are uncertain if the ball is stuck just unplug the wire connector and stick a paper clip in the wire connector. If that makes the pumps work then your just need to take apart the faulty switch and manually release the lever holding the ball. Just take it apart very slowly so you can see exactly how it goes together.

And no if the inertia switch is stuck, it can't go bad, then the fuel pumps would not run when the key is turned.

If your not low on gas then it sounds like you got fuel lines crossed somehow. Double check carefully, with a flashlight you can crawl under the truck just in front of the rear axle and follow the lines with your hand to make sure they are in the right places. If the lines are correct going from the tank to the black canister just before the high pressure pump then the problem is in the tank or the supply line from the tank. You can disconnect the lines from the tank pump and the black canister without dropping the tank with some flathead screw drivers and needle nose pliers and a lot of wiggling. Have someone blow through the supply line at the black cannister and have your hand at the other end to feel if its clogged. If that supply line is not clogged you get the joy of dropping the tank again if you have not already cut a hole in the cargo area to get easy access.

Or, you got the wires crossed at the high pump depending on what brand of pump you bought. Some brands have a real conenctor that only fits one way, others have spade connectors that you have to make sure are connected with the right polarity. The other possability is you don't have the factory electrical connection for the in tank pump and got wires crossed there, but you didn't mention cutting wires so I doubt it.
Zackman6

Post by Zackman6 »

So I finally figured it out... Feel like a complete idiot! When I took out the old high pressure pump, I didn't pay much attention to the direction it was installed, turns out that's pretty important, I put my new one in backwards! Total rookie mistake :-!

UndeadBronco

Post by UndeadBronco »

Thats interesting, I thought the inlet side was a larger diamter than the outlet side. I guess you just made those hoses fit eh?
Zackman6

Post by Zackman6 »

There was no difference in the sizes, they were exactly the same size, you'd think they would make them different to kind of idiot proof it lol, but nope! The only reason I figured it out was because I was at the junkyard under a ranger and happened to glance at the pump and noticed the power supply was toward the front of the truck. Just Glad I got my baby back on the road. Thanks for your input and helpful tips