Posi REAR END 85 b2

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Bronco11Guy1211

Posi REAR END 85 b2

Post by Bronco11Guy1211 »

I want both tires to turn when i hit the gas.. this is called posi? correct? How do i find out what my 85 b2 has, posi or not? :confused??? If i dont have posi what is a basic axel swap that will give me this, and i would like a lower gear ratio ( lower is more torque, right?) I dont mean to sound dumb on here. I can work on cars just fine, just not good with terms or names.. I some time want to put a larger engine in, has 2.8 v6 manual.. what engine do i need for a basic swap? do i need a new tranny if i get a larger motor? Should i keep the same motor this is going to be a hunting rig, i will be covering rough terrain but no crawling or heavy mudding, but will be in snow and sometime will need to drive threw or around dug outs creeks and wash outs, do i have enough power??? I am in Burien, Washington any one close?
Mud Addict

Re: Posi REAR END 85 b2

Post by Mud Addict »

Get '91-'94 Explorer axles :cool: I have them in my '85 :redneck: Am in Hellview, I mean Bellevue :finger:
Bronco11Guy1211

Will do that thanks.. ever do the naches?
Mud Addict

Post by Mud Addict »

Have not made it there, yet. But will for sure once I get my Buggy built :beer:
Bronco11Guy1211

Was at the wrecking yard and was asking about prices on an axel to an explorer for my B2. I got prices but the employee said I need to match the gear ratio to my front end. How do I find out the gear ratio on my 85 B2?
Mud Addict

Post by Mud Addict »

There should be a tag on your axle. But just find an Exploder 4x4 and take both of its axles. That way you get to upgrade both ends at once. The front is easiest, only need to shorten front d-line 1in. The rear requires more work, it needs the spring perches cut off and moved to top of axle. Also need to install new shock mounts :beer: I have all the tools needed to the job at my shop :beer:
Bronco11Guy1211

well ill think about swaping both. I really dont think i need to though.. I want the posi rear for snow and ice. But as wheeling goes im not going to use enough force to break the dana28. Although posi up front would be nice..

I heard something else about using the same axel i have but getting something reworked to lock into posi???
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

Bronco11Guy1211 wrote:

I heard something else about using the same axel i have but getting something reworked to lock into posi???

its called a welder
Mud Addict

Post by Mud Addict »

The only way to get posi front is buy new locker. Can get a posi/limited slip for yor current rear axle as well, or weld the spider gears and run a spooled rear. I used to have a welded 7.5 in the rear of my '84, just need to pay a lil more attention while driving. Come on out to my shop one weekend and I can teach you a lot of little tricks to make your Bronco II perform things that others will not believe :cool:
Bronco11Guy1211

Right now i have the tranny out to replace the pilot bearing and have a trip planned next weekend but ill have to take you up on that offer pretty soon.
Mud Addict

Post by Mud Addict »

I am currently doing a gear swap in the front of my 'lil B2, Got an 8.8 with 4.56's and electric locker in the rear. Am getting ready to put the matching 4.56's in my front D35 :beer:

Also been collecting more parts for the Big B2, just scored am Holley Truck Avenger 4bbl for it :cool:
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Bronco11Guy1211 wrote:Will do that thanks.. ever do the Naches?
I never did the Naches in a 4 X By but back in 78 A really good buddy of mine and I did the whole Naches loop on dirt bikes. I don't know how hard it was on vehicles back then but we had NO lack of "Excitement doing that trail. It is awesome country to Hike, Bike (Motorized), or 4 X 4.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
Bronco11Guy1211

tekatlar.... The country is beautiful there. I hunt off the 73, 72, both sides of 410 on the 70 roads. I have made it on portions of the naches in a s10 "breaker" POS blazers! But i am taking this 85 b2 over some of it in late july and do some early scouting for what evers open in september for what ever weapon is allowed in what ever GMU the naches runs threw. Hopefully ill find some good sign. You wouldnt believe what i go there to hunt the most, GROUSE! My dream September 1st, opening day of grouse season, is to be in the B2 drive somewhere that others cant get and harvest me a limit of those forest chickens with my side-by-side. I prefer ruffed but i love a blue thats been living on nothing but berries. Back to the Naches, i know a guy that took a stock 2003 4x4 off road edition ranger over and he said its not to bad anymore.
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Hey that sounds Like a hell of a lot of fun. I could do a few birds with shorty Moss-burg but I think it would be a lot more fun to shoot em with my semi auto 45 Carbine!!!!!!! Boom that little sucker ain't getting away.....

Hahahahahah
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
Bronco11Guy1211

Stupid question. I have the mitsubishi FM145 5 speed tranny. I also have a Ford mechanics book that weights about ten pounds specifically for MY 85 b2. That book tells me everything, accept where the fill plug it for the tranny! Please fill me in quick! Remember I have the FM145 mitsubishi trans, this was in up to 87 but the mazda trans was also used from 85-87