Coil Problem

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
tedjames11

Coil Problem

Post by tedjames11 »

Once again I'm stumped. I have power going into my coil, the ground is also good. There is no power coming out, so i replaced the coil. It is still doing it. I took a light test and the power is good and the ground is good, they are constant. Does anyone know if it should be pulsing? Or if you had this problem before? Thanks for the help!
kirkland2887

Re: Coil Problem

Post by kirkland2887 »

does your tach work? it could be shorting out your coil. chased that problem for months on my 82 full size
tedjames11

Post by tedjames11 »

The truck doesn't run yet so im not sure. I switched out my ignition module and now the plugs are getting a weak spark at the end of when i try to turn it over. Does that sound familiar?
kirkland2887

Post by kirkland2887 »

unhook your tach leads and see what you get
tedjames11

Post by tedjames11 »

Ill try that after I try this, I traced back my wiring diagrams to the two relays by the air box, they weren't sealed good so they got rusted and corodid so i ordered them and they will be in tomorrow, Ill try that and if not ill check my tach.
drofman

Post by drofman »

ok---- you have put a Ranger engine in, you had crank problems and wiring problems and now thats fixed I guess now you don't have spark. Sorry if I don't understand but you should keep a one post going so we can keep up. On the neg. side of the coil you should have a pulse. I have questions. Did you keep the old wiring or the ranger wiring? Did you swap dist.? What did you do so it would crank? We need a thoughtful history of what you have done and go from there. I guess what I'm saying is you should keep it to one post so people will know the history.
tedjames11

Post by tedjames11 »

Hey, sorry about the multiple posts! And yes I put a 1990 ranger 2.9l into ky 87 b2. They are the same engine and I kept the 90 distributor. The engine is on top dead center. I replaced the two relays by the air intake and the ground on my coil is now pulsing. I put a spark test on my #1 cylender and I am now getting a spark. It didn't start but I hear my fuel pump priming. I'm charging my batterie and putting more gas in just incase I don't have enough. Everything seems to be working right so ill let you know if this works
tedjames11

Post by tedjames11 »

So I put 5 gallons into it, I'm now getting the right spark, and fuel pressure. On my last attempt to start it when spraying starting fluid into it, it shot a flame out. I'm completely stumped. Any input?
drofman

Post by drofman »

mine has 3 relays. fuel pump ,EEC and a/c. do you have the firing order correct?. maybe put the old dist. in? are you 180 out? did you use the 87 wiring or the 90? just throwing stuff out to you.
tedjames11

Post by tedjames11 »

So I can't find the a/c relay, were is that located? And anything that is on the 90 is the same as the 87. Iv double checked the firing order and that's all in the right order, and iv resently put it to tdc just to be sure. The distributer in it has a new cap, rotor, and ignition module that is sending spark to the plugs so I don't see how that would change anything.
drofman

Post by drofman »

sound like a timing problem to me. when you put it on TDC, is the rotor pointing to the firewall (#1 plug wire)?
kirkland2887

Post by kirkland2887 »

if you are throwing flames out the intake then you are probably 180 out. you may have the firing order right but did you get the rotation right?
drofman

Post by drofman »

That's what I was thing kirkland and the 90's came with a mass air flow sensor and the 87 didn't so the wiring is way different, that way I asked if you used the 87 wiring cause the computer is different.
drofman

Post by drofman »

"that's why" I mean. damn silver bullets :beer: