2wd to 4wd conversion

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
taurus98290

2wd to 4wd conversion

Post by taurus98290 »

Ok me and my bud are bigtime ford enthusiasts lookin for some help. we are scratchin our heads at converting my 88 b2 from 2wd to 4wd. I picked up an 88 b2 auto (a4ld) 2.9 lit in excellent cond on craigslist for $150. The guy I bought it from had it partially converted to 4wd allready and gave up on the project due to lack of interest and having to move. We have it about 98% complete but when we bolted up the t case shifter assy, first off the trans lever hits the t case assy and secondly we had to trim out some of the floor pan in order for the t case shifter to have enough clearance to properly engage and move the lever on the t case? The truck has a 3" body lift and I got a bw 1350 t case with a manual shift from a buddy. Weve been to wrecking yards and have variations of other shift assemblies etc but something just isnt right. Ive read various how tos on various forums and it seems like it should be alot more straight forward, what are we doing wrong or missing? Do i need a 4x4 auto tranny a4ld? Do i need a different shifter assy? I was hoping to not have to trim out the floor pan and shifter assy but we may have jumped the gun tryin to "make it work" lol. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Mud Addict

Re: 2wd to 4wd conversion

Post by Mud Addict »

Where are you located at? I live in Bellevue, but have a 4x4 shop in Enumclaw :beer: