coolant issue

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
4d4life

coolant issue

Post by 4d4life »

my 88 2.9l is using alot of coolant i cant find any leaks or any coolant in the oil. any ideas?
Mud Addict

Re: coolant issue

Post by Mud Addict »

Got any smoke comig out the tailpipe?
4d4life

Post by 4d4life »

just the usual amount when its cold out thats whats really weird. it is cold here so im using the heater could some of it be sitting in the heater core because what coolant does disapear isnt much
kirkland2887

Post by kirkland2887 »

the heater core should always be full of coolant or the heater won't work. can you smell coolant in the cab? can you see any residue under the heater core? have you pressure tested the system? how much smoke out the tailpipe is the usuall amount?
4d4life

Post by 4d4life »

just a small stream of smoke comes out during really cold starts but goes away after warming up. no havnt preasure tested it havnt had time hopefully will get around to it soon
Icepicker

Post by Icepicker »

I had the same problem, (or similar to yours) loosing coolant, topping up the reseviour and rad once a week. Found out I had a pinhole leak in my heater core, and that the hoses were also a contributing factor to the problem. My solution was to replace the heater core, ($36 LMC Trucks) new coolant/heater lines, and I also replaced the thermostat, don't forget to put in new coolant, unless you can recycle your old fluid (strained through 3-4 layers cheese cloth or equivalent.)