turn signal problems

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
mattc113

turn signal problems

Post by mattc113 »

so i bought this 89 b2 a few days ago and im going through it, fixing issues and this one has me stumped.

i know the turn signal fuse also operates the reverse lights. i put the 15amp fuse in, turn on the ignition, and the fuse blows immediately.

my passenger side parking light is out, but the blinker on that side works. all blinkers work. i know this because i used a 30amp fuse, and it worked for about 30 seconds before it blew.

any idea?
dgl6y6

Re: turn signal problems

Post by dgl6y6 »

you said it blows as soon as you turn on the ignition? does it blow even when the signals are turned off? i had a problem with the wires rubbing together in the back and made a short. take off the plastic trim between the rear bumper and the bottom of the rear door opening. check the wire bundle for wear.
astrowolf67

Post by astrowolf67 »

If it blows as soon as you turn on the ignition, you have a bad short. As long as none of the lights are on, or operating, the fuse shouldn't blow just by turning on the ignition. Be very careful using higher capacity fuses than specified. Hot wires can easily start a fire.

David
astrowolf67

Post by astrowolf67 »

Also, before you trouble shoot, make sure all of your lights have the right bulbs installed. Some vehicles, especially later models, can develop some very strange symptoms simply by installing an incorrect bulb.

David
drofman

Post by drofman »

You might want to take a look at your muti-function switch wiring if it blows with no blinkers on. If it blows when the blinker are on it's may be wiring or a bulb like astro and dgl said. The 4 way flasher has a different fuse. Is it blowing this fuse also?