A few Carb questions.

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
KFarr

A few Carb questions.

Post by KFarr »

I have an 85 B2 with the 2.8l carbed engine. It only has 118k on it and the carb I know needs to be rebuilt. I've got a few questions.

My accelerator drips gas when the throttle is opened about half way and it's pretty loose and wobbly, I'm fairly sure that's not normal. Does that mean I have to replace it completely when I do my carb rebuild soon or does a gasket come with the rebuild kit or something? Is the accelerator possibly the reason why I lose almost all power when I push the gas down too far? Or is it more likely a vaccum leak? This will be my first rebuild on a carb. I've only done work on FI so carbs are new to me.

Also, in the attatched picture, there's a screw in a hose that's circled, does that go to the EGR? I know I don't nessicarily need the EGR, but could that also cause power loss in some cases?

Also circled is a connector that has a mess of electrical tape on one end of the wire. It goes to the distributor, and I was just curious what that wire does.

Thanks for your help! :D
Attachments
S5030003.JPG
1988bronco2

Re: A few Carb questions.

Post by 1988bronco2 »

could it possibly be the vaccume advance from the carb to the distributor
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

KFarr wrote:I have an 85 B2 with the 2.8l carbed engine. It only has 118k on it and the carb I know needs to be rebuilt. I've got a few questions.

My accelerator drips gas when the throttle is opened about half way and it's pretty loose and wobbly, I'm fairly sure that's not normal. Does that mean I have to replace it completely when I do my carb rebuild soon or does a gasket come with the rebuild kit or something? Is the accelerator possibly the reason why I lose almost all power when I push the gas down too far? Or is it more likely a vaccum leak? This will be my first rebuild on a carb. I've only done work on FI so carbs are new to me.

Also, in the attatched picture, there's a screw in a hose that's circled, does that go to the EGR? I know I don't nessicarily need the EGR, but could that also cause power loss in some cases?

Also circled is a connector that has a mess of electrical tape on one end of the wire. It goes to the distributor, and I was just curious what that wire does

Thanks for your help! :D
I think that vacuum line went to the egr. The yellow wire is the spout plug that enables or disables the timing advance. A problem there would stop the timing advance and make your engine fall on its face at higher rpm. A bad computer, TFI ignition module, and plug wires can cause similar issues. Get a timing light and see what's going on.
kirkland2887

Post by kirkland2887 »

some parts houses still sell bushing for carbs. the throttle plate has to come out and the holes usually have to be enlarged for the bushings and they have to be drilled really straight. if the throttle plate has a lot of slop it could act like a vacuum leak.
Bronco11Guy1211

Post by Bronco11Guy1211 »

I dont know about you gas leak but get a duraspark ignition system http://www.broncoii.org/techpages/duraspark/index.html this will get rid of alot of the wires floating around in the hood. also get rid of that old a** tfi system outta there. should gain power and gas milage back.