starter problems

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
robdex

starter problems

Post by robdex »

:confused: i have an issue cant figure it out 87 bronco 2 4x4 new starter both hot and ground wires from battery, new solenoid, when i go to start the truck it grinds, i have checked the flywheel no broken teeth, new starter today and it still does it. it acts like its jumping on the flywheel old starter did not have anything wrong with drive gear as far as teeth being chewed up and like i said flywheel looks fine any help would be appreciated.
Jorley

Re: starter problems

Post by Jorley »

I have the same exact problem.
I have tried different bell housing, starter, starter drive gear and flywheel. admittedly both flywheels were used.
I have come to the conclusion that it is the flywheel. Just because there are no missing teeth they still could be not as high as the other teeth, causing a flat spot.
I have been able to get mine to start by putting a washer on the engine side of the bottom starter mounting bolt, between the starter and the bell housing. This tilts the starter enuff to engage the shorter teeth.
'84 Bll 2.8L w/ duraspark, rv cam
TK5, 31x10.50x15
slygh93

Re: starter problems

Post by slygh93 »

i had the same problem in my 84. i replaced my starter, soleniod, and all the wires, come to find out i had a batter that didnt get enough cold crank amps to start it. changed my battery and never had the grinding problem again