question on rollcage?

Real world tips and tricks for the do-it-yourself ethusiast. Tools and parts that make life easy, and simple fabrication tips and tricks.
101btp

question on rollcage?

Post by 101btp »

Im hoping that i will get time this summer to atleast start work on the roll cage for my bronco II but im in the process of figuring what material i want to use? id i was thinking of 1/4 inch 2"by 2" square tube or some sort of chro molly tube that was 1/8"thick idk what to go with i mean it's for mudding and i don't plan on high speed wrecks/rollovers?
Mud Addict

Re: question on rollcage?

Post by Mud Addict »

1.5 in DOM with .120 wall, would be good :D
101btp

Post by 101btp »

still trying to find a way to set up the cage so i dont eat up all the space in back?
green45

Post by green45 »

if you get on jegs. com they sell prefabed roll cages for rangers that fit a bronco 2 i just put one in my self and all the tube comes prebent and some of them are notched for easy welding. the cages are desinged for raceing so the are made out of the type of tubing you want i only payed 365 if i remember right for an 8 point full cage. if you get on jegs dont forget to surch under ford ranger prefabed roll cages
101btp

Post by 101btp »

alright I will that's not a bad price
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Just a quick note.

NEVER second guess safety. If you do your own cage remember you are willing to bet your life and passengers lives on it? I mean if you want a cage for protection then let the pros design and build it. Then you can put it in and rest assured if you slip and roll over the cliff that the cage will do it's best to protect you...

I have seen some pretty dangerous cages scratch built and even saw a results picture of a guy whom did his own and when he crashed the cage is what killed him.

OK Safety Lecture over.

As mud addict said 1.5 by 120 wall DOM (Drawn over mandrel) round tube. that would be a good place to start. What I think you might find is that the cost for the amount of tubing you will need adds up real quick. Then you have to cut, bend, and weld the cage up! Hmm that 3 to 4 hundred for a pro built cage looks a lot more attractive..
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
101btp

Post by 101btp »

tube is not so bad for me to get considering I work at a welding shop but is more getting the bends put in it that we do not bend steel
tedjames11

Post by tedjames11 »

Go to Harbor Freight, they sell Tube Bender for like $30, im looking to do the same thing seeing im getting brand new tig and mig welders :D But harbor Freight is the cheapest and most reliable place to get a by-hand-tube-bender.
Mud Addict

Post by Mud Addict »

The H.F. bender is great for kinking and destroying tube :flipoff: Find a local shop with a real bender, and pay them to bend it up. Is cheaper to do it right the first time :D
deputyfestus

Post by deputyfestus »

I used schedule 40 bip. ( black iron pipe) old school but indestructible.Image
coreykiger

Post by coreykiger »

Do you think that some of them are right? I am not sure, just asking your opinion! Or, it is better to wait for further replies.
offroadohio

Re: RE: Re: question on rollcage?

Post by offroadohio »

coreykiger wrote:Do you think that some of them are right? I am not sure, just asking your opinion! Or, it is better to wait for further replies.
#revive

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk