sounds like an automatic weapon

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
bonham

sounds like an automatic weapon

Post by bonham »

my 88 bronco2 sounds like an automatic weapon when i give it gas, if i let off the gas it goes away but returns when ishift and give it gas again anyone had this problem?
drofman

Re: sounds like an automatic weapon

Post by drofman »

maybe an exhause leak or loose spark plug? the right side exhause manifold like to leak.
drofman

Post by drofman »

exhaust.
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Sounds like the rig has been previously owned by an terrorist and you have the 9MM Full Auto version. Take it to your local gunsmith and have him re-chamber to 7.62.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
bonham

Post by bonham »

well the guy wasnt a terrorist but he is a pain in ass, not really well maybe!! im wondering if it mite be somthing with the ignition
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

how bout the rear U-Joints
bonham

Post by bonham »

the sound is like a backfire but it repeats until i let off the gas then i have to down shift. then when i get to a certain amount of gas then it does it again. it seems to do it when i give it more gas not at lower amounts of gas
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

converter clogged up?
bonham

Post by bonham »

Well, i took the valve cover off, and i discovered the problem, one of rocker arms was almost off the valve spring. i put it back to its right spot started it up it sounded 100% better, and no submachine gun sound lol thanks for the replies, there are some other issues to deal with but that one was the biggest
drofman

Post by drofman »

wow, how did that happen? did you work on it lately? thanks for the reply. many don't.
bonham

Post by bonham »

no, i bought it some time ago from a buddy of mine who bought it from a small dealer. he said it had a tick to it, i wasnt scared of that because ive had 4 of these in the past 15 years, and i know that they can have a loud valve train, the valve covers were leaking so i figured i could adjust them down or at least c what the deal was. i did notice a vacume plug in the oil return area if that is what caused it i really dont know, but its alot better now so its on to tune up stuff.