can't find replacement gasket for the oil pump

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
jefe

can't find replacement gasket for the oil pump

Post by jefe »

I'm having a hard time finding the replacement gasket that goes between the oil pump and the pickup tube. I've tried local shops, Ford, and online.

I found it on Rock Auto Parts but I have to buy the entire pickup tube just to get the gasket or I have to get a gasket kit for the bottom end of engine. Both of which seems like a lot of money to pay when I need a gasket that costs $1.

Was hoping one of you guys have found this gasket and can point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

http://images.oreillyauto.com/parts/img ... 55_ang.jpg
Ranger Dave

Re: can't find replacement gasket for the oil pump

Post by Ranger Dave »

make one
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Piece of cake. Go to autoparts and pick up some Gasket material.
Lay the gasket flat and place the oil pickup tubeflat on the gasket. Trace the outside of the pickup flange and mark hole locations.
Cut the outside shape of the gasket.
Hold the pickup flange level and lay you gasket on the flange. Hold the gasket in place and take the ball end of a ball peen hammer Set it in the middle of the gasket and then hit it with another hammer giving it a slight smack to put a dimple in the gasket right over the inlet of the flange.
Now take the gasket and look at your dimple on the back side and if ya done it right you will have an outline of the pickup tube in the middle of the gasket.
Take a sharp knife and cut the center opening. Cut open the 2 mounting bolt holes and you are good to go.

Oh Crap!!! I just told you a Top Secret tip. Now I gotta Kill ya..... Mu ha ha ha ha ha
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
jefe

Post by jefe »

ha ha! Nice...

Thanks for the tips....and I have thought of making one....but for some reason, I just don't trust it 100%.....it's such a pain to do the oil pan and stuff, I only want to do this once and would punch myself if I had to do it again because of a failed gasket.

If it was something easy to get to, I'd be all over it with the hand made version....

I dunno...am I crazy?
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Don't worry, just ask the counter guy for some oil resistant gasket material. That connection is NOT under pressure it just seals the seam so you don't have air leaks to loose prime. I used to use this oily type paper-ish gasket paper called Kapok or some stupid name like that.

Making this gasket by hand is very low risk of failure.

Go ahead I know you can do it you get the skills..
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
jefe

Post by jefe »

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.