runs untill its warm (video)

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
UndeadBronco

Re: runs untill its warm (video)

Post by UndeadBronco »

A fuel pressure gauge is 1 of the few tools I don't have. Could I just use a dial face air gauge and attch or hold it on the fuel rail port?
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

computer???
UndeadBronco

Post by UndeadBronco »

I had a new computer on hand and tried it this morning.

What are teh symptoms of a bad SPOUT?
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

UndeadBronco wrote:I had a new computer on hand
for what year
UndeadBronco

Post by UndeadBronco »

I pulled that computer early last year so not positive on the year but if I had to guess I'd say 92 because I think I remember 92 on the windshield. I go to that salvage yard almost every week so I could be gettting a memory mixed up. the Bronco that is at the yard right now is an 88 I know because I was going to grab the fuel pump but its 1 year too old. The computers case that I swaped in doesn't have the heatsink fins like the original that was my 86, if that helps determine the year. There was a sticker on the electrical connector of the box but I didn't get a picture of it. Could you tell the year from the sticker? If so I'll get a snap of it when it gets light out.
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

get the off the computer

E7TF-12A650-BD1A(87 ranger,2.9,std trans,RWD)
UndeadBronco

Post by UndeadBronco »

Was getting some stuff to fix a motorcycle today and I ran across a cheap fuel pressure gauge so I got it. Hooked it up when I got home and it appears that my problem is the high pressure pump on the side rail. Heres a video link of it on Megavideo.

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=G6GJJ5CZ
After starting the truck I don't touch anything except the seat which I'm sitting in.

Sorry its taken so long to respond. I had an opprotunity to get another truck just like my GMC for cheap so that my girl would have a car to drive for sure instead of trying different fixes every week on the Bronco. All thats done now and she can toodle around town in a truck she knows everything about from helping me work on mine. It's even got airconditioning that works, thats a 1st for her, so shes lovin it. Now I'm determined to get this problem fixed on the ol Bronco.

Yes RD, the computer I swaped in was from an 89 at the salvage yard.

Before I go do anything else I'd like to make sure that we all agree that it looks like a fuel problem. If so I deffinatly want to do the swap so that it uses only 1 fuel pump, the one in the gas tank. I can't recall now what year soemone said that they started using just the one pump. If someone can help me out on that it would be much appreciated.
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

I would do a quick forum search for fuel pump. if someone mentioned it here a search will find it.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
UndeadBronco

Post by UndeadBronco »

Yep search found it tek. 89-90 deffinatly use 1 pump. So does it look like a fuel delivery prob to you?
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

I have been suspicious for a while that it is a fuel related problem. one quick question though when the fuel pressure regulator was changed out was it replaced with a new or used one. sometimes used ones don't last once they dry up inside especially with all the ethanol in the fuel these days. The ethanol eats rubber fuel components badly.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
UndeadBronco

Post by UndeadBronco »

I first tried a used regulator but like you I was suspicious of it being faulty so I got a new one. The new one is the one thats on ther now.

On the video the regulator shows that it seems to be able to hold 8-10 lbs of pressure but it needs about 30 or so to stay running. Can you tell from the way the regulator drops if I should suspect the low or high pump?
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

I would suspect the Hi pump, because you seem to be able to put out about 8 PSI continuously. That pressure would lead me to think the low pump would be OK.

However keep this in mind. It could be a tank pump too. If it were me I would at least disconnect the inlet to the high pressure pump and direct the fuel line into a container. Have someone jumper 12 volts to the in tank pump and make sure you get a good consistent VOLUME of fuel! If the high pump can't get any fuel it can't raise the pressure.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
drofman

Post by drofman »

I had the same problem with the lift pump in the tank on my 88. the rubber hose between the motor and pipe was elastic and when it got hot it wouldn't pump (even with a full tank so it wasn't sucking air, just not building pressure) but after it cool down a bit it would run for about 20 minutes and do it again. Don't know if this is your problem, just somewhere to look.
UndeadBronco

Post by UndeadBronco »

Well I got a lot of my projects done so I'm back to looking at the Bronco. Sorry its taken about a year but I've been very busy.

You are correct drofman the brand new intank fuel pump I purchased came with a hose to attach the pump to the hanger tube. When I pulled the pump out on a sunny day this past November the hose supplied with the new pump was double its original size and all mushy inside and out. They supplied heater hose not fuel hose. :wtf: it was completly useless for holding pressurized anything now. To get real actual fuel line Napa is the only place that carries it and its $20 a foot. The supposed fuel line other auot parts stores sell is just heater hose with a 1/16 thick walled inner lining with some nylon weave between the 2 layers. That type of hose will nt work for very long submerged in fuel. Anyways I fixed this hose problem and the ol Bronco ran for about 2 weeks with little more than 1 or 2 stumbles on the highway.

But just like magic the same exact problem reappeared and thus the truck has sat untill now. I of course pulled the intank pump again to make sure the special $20/ft hose didn't disolve like the previous Chinese one that turned into black jelly. It was still fine in November and is still fine as of last night when I pulled it out to have a look.

I have not driven the truck since November but I have changed a few parts. I went ahead and replaced the high pressure pump with a new one that appears to work good. I also have put the code scanner on the Bronco 3 or 4 times since November and the only thing it ever pulled up was the Thottle position sensor. Thus I went ahead and replaced the TPS last week. There didn't really seem to be any way to clean the old TPS or adjust it. Well all new pumps and TPS and still have basically the same problem.

The truck with start up every time quickly and easily after sitting overnight. It will run at idle for a good 2 minutes then start stumbleing (engine looks like it wants to jump out from under the hood) untill it eventually sumbles itself to death in about a minute or so. The only change now from my original problem is now once the engine stumbles and dies it will not restart right away like before. I have to wait at least and hour before the truck will start again. So 2 minutes runtime, 1-2 minutes of stumbleing/no power/die, and then 1hr wait to restart. Its not even practical for a quick run around the block. Back in May when it would die I could always immediatly restart it and rev up the throttle, pop the clutch to get some speed and limp it back home that way.

I got 3 people wanting to buy it for some reason if I can make the ol beast run so I'm offering a $100 paypal reward to whomever comes up with the fix to make the thing drive. I did replace the windshield when it was running for 2 weeks and did a lot of other little things. Like tear down the doors and fix fix em so the windows operate perfect. Foam tube around all the metal rods and such in the door so they dont rattle when the doors shut or you hit a pot hole. I got the doors opening and shutting like new where u can push them shut with just a little 1 finger push. Got teh fuel gauge working and the AC. Also fixed did maintenance on the transfer case, front diff and got the 4x4 working. New hatch shocks also got put in. Basically its a hot little truck now that seems to draw peoples intrest enough to want to buy it. My asking price which all 3 persons have agreed to earerly will more than recoup the money I've thrown into it so I have no problem paying one of you if you can help get it to run.
Jameswj110

Post by Jameswj110 »

undead bronco
please post the fix if u find one. i have a 86 broncoII that runs good in cool weather, but will quit running when the weather gets warm. is good for about 10 min. or 5 miles and then it starts sputtering and unresponsive to gas pedal and goes dead. will retart when the engine cools down. any help would be appreciated.