rebuilding a 302?

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
PetesPonies

Re: rebuilding a 302?

Post by PetesPonies »

Well Ranger Dave, you are close . . but the "E" in the casting number does not mean engine. The "T" does mean the truck division was responsible for the design, but doesn't mean it can't be used in other vehicle lines; which they were.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

ok, how bout this

E= engine group
101btp

Post by 101btp »

101btp wrote:well I took off the head and their was a little rust in the bore so i used a bore hone lightly and cleaned it best I could now I was told this was from a 77 crown vic? but has the casting e7te?
well hears the pistons I have in the block and it's an e7te block, but it has the e6se cylinder heads and I was just wondering if it's worth me porting polishing new valves new springs or to use a different stock head and do the same, ive also been wondering if one of the 351 heads would work with those pistons, just trying to find something that the valves wont run into the piston theirs not much depth carved into the pistons either, and seems about 1/3 of people like the heads and the other 2/3 don't? and this is an 87 roller block that i do plan on getting a cam for but again depending on what heads i go with?

o and Yankee lake is coming up soon so my time to figure things out is starting to run low
http://www.trucknight.com/index.php

ok so now it gets a little more confusing im getting a lot of mixed messages on the e6se heads and people are saying their pretty good for torque? and some are saying they suck??

o and lets not forget that i need to find a new transfer case

and figure out on how to run the fule I was told take the high pressure pump off on the frame keep sending unit in the tank and use a regulator possibly with a return to the tank, im also trying to understand with having the pump in the tank will their be a need for a mechanical pump on the block
101btp

Post by 101btp »

the heads I will be going with are gt-40 heads
101btp

Post by 101btp »

dose any one know the psi ratings for the in tank sending unit pump?
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

you could hook a pressure guage to the line and turn the key to the on position to find out. you going carb or EFI?
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
101btp

Post by 101btp »

im using a carb and yeah it's a low budget build for now anyways and this will also save on doing more work than I have to I can use the low pressure pump in the tank and just remove the one on the frame, use a pressure regulator and be fine
drofman

Post by drofman »

the 88' Ford truck shop manual gives the high pressure at 35 to 45 psi ( I've never seen 45) but only gives flow rate for low pressure pump. 16 oz of fuel in ten seconds. use the high pressure and put a regulator on it like you would with a good electric pump.
101btp

Post by 101btp »

now im not all that familiar with regulators but what would be the benefit of having a return to the tank on it?
drofman

Post by drofman »

forgot about that. Tech or someone may know if you need a return and tell you if I'm talking out of my a**. I was talking about the in-line type of regulator with the dial 1 thur 10 on it to regulate pressure.
101btp

Post by 101btp »

yeah I know what you were meaning I was just worried about it having too much back pressure?
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

You can get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator of the bypass type. They allow you to dial any pressure you want and it keeps the pumps from having to work their guts out. Check summit or Jegs..
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
drofman

Post by drofman »

I knew Tek would know
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Thanks for the compliment drofman.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
101btp

Post by 101btp »

alright thanks : )

had another small setback today broke the timing cover taking the water pump off