1990 Bronco 2 transfer case won't come out of 4wd ?

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
VTMUDDER

1990 Bronco 2 transfer case won't come out of 4wd ?

Post by VTMUDDER »

Hello i'm new here and i need some help ! i am going to be looking at a 1990 bronco2 it has the 2.9L motor and standerd trans. the problem is it won't come out of 4wd the guy that has it said he has pushed the button and nothing happens what i was wondering is do you think it just the motor on the side of the transfer case ? also he said that the pass. side door will not open any clue what could be wrong there ? the biggest worry is the transfer case also when i go to look at it is there anything that i should look for ? any big problems with this bronco i should know about ? thanks for any help you guys can give me !
101btp

Re: 1990 Bronco 2 transfer case won't come out of 4wd ?

Post by 101btp »

I have the same problem too I blew a drive shaft and to get it home I put it in 4wd and that's where it's been since past fall
VTMUDDER

Post by VTMUDDER »

have you looked at all to see why it stayed locked in ? i haven't looked at this bronco yet but i was hopeing that i could get some input on what might be the problem with the 4wd my first thought is the motor on the transfer case also i was told there is a fuse for it can anybody tell me where that fuse is ? is it with the rest of them or under the hood ?
Mud Addict

Post by Mud Addict »

You can unbolt the shift motor from back of t-case and manually shift it out of 4x4. Follow the wiring harness attached to the motor and locate the control module for the t-case, cannot remeber if there is a fuse there or not.
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

dumb qusetion but, how do you know its stuck in 4x4?
VTMUDDER

Post by VTMUDDER »

Ranger Dave wrote:dumb qusetion but, how do you know its stuck in 4x4?
as i have been told since young you can never ask a dumb question ! i am going by what the guy that has it now told me he said he had driven it around his yard so i guess he could tell that way plus i guess the light is still on but i never put to much faith in lights ! as i said right now just going by what he has told me also he said he just had the same thing happen with his ranger.
04sd

Post by 04sd »

Most likely the motor assembly, can usually be fixed easily, and like was mentioned if you unbolt the motor you can dial it out of 4x4.
Bill
1990 BII, 4.0, (sold)
2005 F150 SCrew
'84 Ranger under construction
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

maybe its the operator. seeing you dont have it with you kinda prevents ya from checkin things
VTMUDDER

Post by VTMUDDER »

is it just unbolting the motor from the transfer case and unplugging it is that all you have to do ? how many bolts are there ? and what kind of wrench works the best at turning the transfer case ? i had heard that it takes a lot to turn it is that truck ? thanks........and Ranger Dave no i don't have it yet but i am trying to find out what to look for and is it possibly the motor that is bad or something else i don't really think the old guy that has it is giveing me line of crap he said that the wheels felt like the front wheels where skidding when he turned it so kind of sounds to me like it was still locked in but i won't know for sure till i look at it sat. morning
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

guess you have to wait till sat to find out for yourself,then crawl underneath and have a look.
VTMUDDER

Post by VTMUDDER »

Ranger Dave wrote:guess you have to wait till sat to find out for yourself,then crawl underneath and have a look.
you have any tips on what i should or need to do to check it out ? i never fooled around with a bronco or a ranger before so any info that you could pass on would be very helpful Thanks !
101btp

Post by 101btp »

lol I know how mine was stuck in 4wd because when I high centered it on snow all the tires were moving