transfer case recommendations?

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
101btp

transfer case recommendations?

Post by 101btp »

well with me putting in around at least a 300 hp 302 any one have some preferences on what would be best preferably used this engine is draining my budget and I am yet to pick up the c4 transmission
Mud Addict

Re: transfer case recommendations?

Post by Mud Addict »

If you going with a c4/5 combo get a manual shift t-case from an Explorer. If going with a c4 from an early Bronco, get an D20 t-case.
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

for a bolt on t-case?? for a C4 is the D20.thats the only one the C4 ever had. for the C5 you have the 1350/1354
101btp

Post by 101btp »

alright well guess I will start calling up the junk yards on quotes thanks : ) also if you don't mind I know it's off the topic of transfer cases but what gears for the front and back would be good I know in another thread Ranger Dave you told me to just up grade the gears instead of getting new front and rear ends and the drive shafts that would work with them
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

what size tires you gonna run?
101btp

Post by 101btp »

well right now I have 32" but at least 38" maybe 40"
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

then your gonna want some 488/ 513's
101btp

Post by 101btp »

im having one hell of a time finding a d20 t case
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

gotta find a early bronco
101btp

Post by 101btp »

well I guess through jeff's Bronco grave yard they make a adapter for using the existing transmission in the bronco ? has any one done this before?
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

gear will totaly depend on tire size, the big question is what axles are you running? personaly I like the 205 case, but the low range sucks. the D20 is my next favorite. both are gear driven so they will last longer then the newer style cases. when you are selecting your gears you need to think about how much you plan to drive the truck on the road. I go a little deeper gear if it is not hitting highway speeds.
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
101btp

Post by 101btp »

well i got a great deal on a d20 and will be getting it this weekend hopefully, and yes I will be hitting highway speeds

lol I really have to hurry on getting the Bronco done Yankee lake is next month
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

101btp wrote:well i got a great deal on a d20
get the adapter and rear out put shaft with it
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

are you planning on running the stock axles with 38-40's? if so they will not hold.
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
101btp

Post by 101btp »

i think this is what I need to make the t case I have fit what do ya think guys it seems like a good deal that way I wont have to do a lot of drive train mods at least until winter or I get bigger tires

and d brown when you say the stock axles wont hold up do I just go to a drive shaft company and just have them re make the same thing with chrome-molly steel and stronger u joints?

my 88 usto have the spindle shaft that went bad still have it for a spare tho, then used the manual shaft from my 88 wow that was a ride after about two weeks of it being on it ended up in a yard down the street flew right off and when I say that I mean broke not because I dident tighten the bolts and now im using a drive shaft from some 80's Bronco 2 but it had a 302 in it but it's not a spindle shaft any more the only issue now is it's still locked in 4wd but im hoping to fix that soon when I pull out the engine