Difficult Choice

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
onewontwo

Difficult Choice

Post by onewontwo »

I can only commit to one or the other at this time.

I'm currently running 3.55 gears w/ 33" tires on the stock 2.9..

5.0 or re-gear??

Let me know your input in this..
TJDukit82

Re: Difficult Choice

Post by TJDukit82 »

Thats easy "There's no replacement for displacement." I'd go 5.0 if I had the time and money.
And on the 8th day God created beer.

'89 Bronco II
'03 GMC Sierra Z71
onewontwo

Post by onewontwo »

Now my next question... What should I look for as far as vehicles that have a 5.0.. I see alot of v8's around but I'm not finding any 5.0's
TJDukit82

Post by TJDukit82 »

Aside from the obvious Mustang I'm not really too sure.
And on the 8th day God created beer.

'89 Bronco II
'03 GMC Sierra Z71
vabronconut

Post by vabronconut »

i would go gears. find a explorer with 4.10's not that hard to find, very cheap and very easy to swap over. i love the 302 but it is a long expensive and fairly complex swap, seeing how you swap the trans, drive shafts, possibly t case, tcase adapters are expensive, mounts and headers can be expensive. if you choose to go this route the lincoln mark, and lsc cars have the h.o. and the t-bird and cougar have the h.o's as well. ANY full size 80's or early to mid ninties cars have the 302 non h.o. which is extremly cheap but it is speed density and non-roller. truck engine intakes are too tall and will give you headaches.
87 bronco II 93 5.0 HO, NP435, 44 sas
onewontwo

Post by onewontwo »

Well I already have the D44 up front, an 8.8 in the rear.

Gears will not be cheap either seeing I will need new lockers as well, since the 4.56 gears I would be running will not fit the existing lockers.

So my thoughts are still up in the air at this point.
vabronconut

Post by vabronconut »

this is only my opinion so take it for what its worth. adding more power is great but your going to have to rev the engine to get those tires to turn with street gears then when the tires catch on something you almost certainly will snap something in the drive train. either ujoints or shafts. gearing down far enough will have the same effect of a more powerful engine. example is the toyota trucks. they run a 100 hp 4 banger but with 5.24 gears and it wheels great. even with a v8 swap you wil eventualy change gears so i guess it doesn't mater which one you will do first.
88budget4X4

Post by 88budget4X4 »

actually the T-birds and cougars dont have the HO. they have a watered down 155hp turd lol.. smaller intake mani, Tb, less compression, smaller injectors. etc..
vabronconut

Post by vabronconut »

88budget4X4 wrote:actually the T-birds and cougars dont have the HO. they have a watered down 155hp turd lol.. smaller intake mani, Tb, less compression, smaller injectors. etc..
some t-birds did have the h.o., cougars i guessed at. i have seen a bunch of t-bird h.o.'s but im not sure what year they are in. they have the same intake as the 94-95 mustang with the curved air inlet. but i thought that the t-birds went 4.6 in those years so im not to sure.
throttle junkie

Post by throttle junkie »

I found a 93 thunderbird supercharged 4.0. you think that would fit in my 90 b2?
Mud Addict

Post by Mud Addict »

I got my 5.0 HO from an '87 Lincoln Mark VII, looked like a Thunderbird :D Am putting a C4/5 with manual 1354 from an Exploder behind it.