31's on stock rear end and transfer case

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
Mr G

31's on stock rear end and transfer case

Post by Mr G »

I am new to the Bronco II. I have 2 1984's. In considering what to do with these things I thimk the rear is the weaker 7.? rear end and am pretty sure the T-case is a BW1350. Has anybody ran 31 inch tires with this rear end and how long did it last?

I am a high school autoshop teacher without a lot of money so budget is always a concern. I do have lots of help from inexperienced students and lots of fabrication equipment just no money. I am swapping the front out for an explorer TTB Dana 35 I traded for a high pinion 35.

I assume the BW1350 has a seperate oil system from the trans if that's not true please let me know? If I run the stock transfer case with the stock V6 I should be good. Does anybody know the lowest gear ration for the BW1350?

My main point is to be wheeling ASAP being that my Scout is under the knife for major mods. (I hope its okay to mention IH here and if its not please excuse me i'm the fng).

Thanks for all the great info all of you provide
Mr G

Re: 31's on stock rear end and transfer case

Post by Mr G »

From the lack of replies I guess I should not have mentioned my other vehicle Sorry did not mean to offend.
04sd

Post by 04sd »

The 7.5 rear and the 1350 should both be fine with a stock engine and 31" tires. The weakest link is probably the d28 front and you're already upgrading that. I assume you know the Explorer front axle needs to be the same gear ration as your rear axle.
Bill
1990 BII, 4.0, (sold)
2005 F150 SCrew
'84 Ranger under construction
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

the 7.5 is stronger that ya think.the mustang GT's had 7.5's in um with a 302 and a stick.my 95 ranger with a 4.0 5sp,welder rear,side step the clutch pedal @5000rpm,smolder the tires 1st and 2nd.took the welded carrier ont and replaced with a LS,put the welded carrier in a B2 and its still going today.my 83 ranger,302 4V,C5 with a shift kit,7.5 with 31's, no issues.

what do ya have for gears?? what tranny. 31's and 345 gears suck,and will really suck with a 2.8
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

listen good and youll hear a chirp in 3rd. 345's with 31's shiftin at 5000

green45

Post by green45 »

i have 36s on my 7.5 inch rear end and it does fine in more worried about the frount than the rear you should be fine
Mudhog1977

Post by Mudhog1977 »

I have 33's on mine with welded spider gears and I run it pretty hard and its held up pretty good
Live to ride, ride to live, thats how I roll
streetrodder1958

Post by streetrodder1958 »

Had an 84 Bronco 2 from 94 till we rolled it in 2000. We had 31s on it and a 3 inch body lift. No problems at all with the drive train. The power of these is quite low so you really have got to try to break something. I don't remember the number of full size rigs I have pulled from the beach in El Gulfo with the Bronco. You just can't seem to get it stuck! On a side note, I have been missing that little Bronco for some time now and finely made the choice to get another. And can you believe it I knew where there was one so I asked how much the other day and they gave it to me for free. My kind of price! Got it running this weekend. Life is as it should be again!