Coolant drain plug on the engine block

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
jefe

Coolant drain plug on the engine block

Post by jefe »

Hey all....I'm doing some work on the 87 BII, part of which is draining the coolant....the shop manual I have says to drain it from the radiator which I've done...and then it mentions to also drain the coolant from the engine block......with no photo in the manual, I cannot find where this drain plug is on the engine block.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks. - jefe
Thedsk

Re: Coolant drain plug on the engine block

Post by Thedsk »

Plug in lower side of engine block. Takes allen wrench.

Sent from a payphone via the matrix
drofman

Post by drofman »

most of the time you can't get them out. What I do is just pull the heater hose off the intake and hook a water hose to the heater core side and run it with the engine running till it's clean. I also take the Rad cap off while doing it. What up Jefe, did that radio work?
jefe

Post by jefe »

Hey drofman.....yea, that radio worked out nicely.

As for the drain plug, yea I can't seem to track it down to save my life. Not sure what to do because I think I would feel too guilty doing the water hose trick cause that likely means flushing the coolant down a street drain....which all drain to the ocean around here.
drofman

Post by drofman »

damn treehugger hahaha
jefe

Post by jefe »

Even with the heads and manifolds pulled, I still can't see this drain plug.

Anyone have a road map or a photo of where this thing is?
jefe

Post by jefe »

Thought I would post that I found the mysterious block drain plug for the coolant!!!!

I pulled the lower radiator hose too but it still didn't drain the block completely. I have the heads pulled and I could still see coolant sitting in there.

So the mysterious block plug is on the block slightly above the oil filter adapter. It was hard for me to find even with my engine completely in pieces. I can imagine it's very hard to find with everything still intact.

Someone said it took an allen wrench but mine was just a normal bolt. Took a 7/16 socket and it wasn't hard to pull out at all.

But be careful. When mine came out, it went flying and I still haven't found it yet. ha!

Lots of coolant came out at this spot so I thought I would post that it does exist!
jefe

Post by jefe »

Go figure, there is another plug on the other side of the block in the almost identical spot as the one I described above. More coolant drained from here as well.