Tranny reinstall problems...need HELP

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
lroy

Re: Tranny reinstall problems...need HELP

Post by lroy »

Okay soo here's the dealio with this truck.... we pulled the trans/tcase easy... took apart the old clutch assembly, turned the flywheel, than I put in the new pilot bushing, the clutch disc, the pressure plate, (while using the alignment tool).. I torqued it down.. next day try to put the tranny on and it'll go only so far (almost aligned with the teeth on the flywheel)... I was afraid the clutch disc might not have been aligned so we pulled the transmission again.... checked it looked fine.... installed the original release bearing because Craig mentioned about the release bearing possibly being wrong (BTW THANK YOU!).... the transmission goes in ohhhh sooo far.... but not far enough.. (we have the transmission in gear and the input shaft moves with the output shaft)... We were using the tcase to twist and shift the transmission so it would line up.... and it worked well minus the weight and the fact that the jacks were binding us up.

I am thinking of pulling the transmission again and realigning clutch and starting from scratch again.

and we have put grease on the input shaft....

hopefully this helps everyone else with their thoughts(?)
tmg1018

Post by tmg1018 »

I don't think they took too much off but I'm not sure exactly how much they took off.
Looks like will be taking it all apart again tomorrow to check the disc plate. This is so frustrating.
didittwice

Post by didittwice »

Hey I will stop by tomorrow and see if I come see something ?????
didittwice

Post by didittwice »

Just a though sence it was the wrong throw out bearing then look at the pilot bearing I fill they gave you the clutch kit.
tmg1018

Post by tmg1018 »

WOOHOO! We got it all put back together today and got it on the road.

We were finally able to get the tranny back on yesterday afternoon and went to the next step of bleeding the hydraulic clutch. Well we ran into another problem, the NEW slave was bad and leaked immediatley. So of course the entire thing had to come off again.
Thanks to some of the best guys on the planet (lroy and my good friend James) the tranny got dropped AGAIN and the new slave installed. Those guys got that tranny back up and into place in just 30 min! Such a great feeling when that bellhousing went into place against the block! YEAH

Got it bled and then was able to finally take her for a spin. Oh that felt good

Thank you all for the help and suggestions.

Especially you Craig, you ROCK! Thank you so much for coming over and helping out
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

soooo what was the problem??
didittwice

Post by didittwice »

Hey Dave I think it was just getting the tranny line up when I went to help we have more eyes they had every thing else done right.
that tranny is not light that is way I pull the motor when it is hanging on a chain it is easyer to move?

That what I think
throttle junkie

Post by throttle junkie »

Try rotating the torque converter while doin the jiggle wiggle.
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

throttle junkie wrote:Try rotating the torque converter while doin the jiggle wiggle.

standards dont have TC's

plus you put the converter in the tranny first,bolt up the bell housing,and pull the converter to the flexplate