Tranny reinstall problems...need HELP

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
tmg1018

Tranny reinstall problems...need HELP

Post by tmg1018 »

We dropped the tranny to replace the slave and clutch. We had the flywheel resurfaced and we reinstalled that as well.
The problem now is that we cant seem to get the bell housing close enough to the engine block to rethread the bolts to put it all back together.

We thought maybe the splines where not lined up perfectly so we turned the clutch fan while trying to push the tranny towards the engine. We can get the bolts lined up but we still have about a 1 1/2 inch gap between the bellhousing and the engine block all the way around.

It does not appear to have anything holding it up on the outside and we can not figure out what else besides the splines that would hold it up inside.

Any thoughts, ideas?

Thanks
fnlucky

Re: Tranny reinstall problems...need HELP

Post by fnlucky »

your line up tool might have slipped in the tighting process of the clutch and pressure plate. You may have to loosen it up realign the clutch and tighten the bolts back up. An extra hand may be needed to hold the line up tool to ensure the proper placement. Then everything should slide back together.
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

turnin the fan doesnt turn the engine,put a socket and ratchet on the crank pulley bolt. you shouldnt have to force the alighment tool into the clutch,it should slide in and out easy
didittwice

Post by didittwice »

Had the same thing happen look at the throw out bearing put the old one back in and it went together the parts store gave the wrong kit hey I live in Salem if you need any help .
Craig
tmg1018

Post by tmg1018 »

Heck yeah come on over we are working on it again today
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

You know I haven't seen anyone actually mention Using the clutch alignment tool. I will assume that was used. You might try giving the splines a good brushing with a wire brush as it may be a tight fit. Here is a trick I have used in the past. After cleaning the input shaft splines I take a tiny bit of wheel bearing grease and rub it over the splines. Make sure to only use a tiny bit. Ya don't want it to be pushed into a ball cause it will fling the grease on the clutch.

One last bit of advice, Don't try to use the bolts to pull the transmission into place if it won't slide in by jiggle and wiggle there is an alignment problem and probably is the clutch disk. I seen many bell housings cracked by people trying to force things together. Anyway Good luck.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

you have a 2.8 or a 2.9er
tmg1018

Post by tmg1018 »

2.8L
Still wrestling with it. Ugh
We did put a small amount of grease on the splines, I think that might help. It's just getting that dang thing all lined up.
tmg1018

Post by tmg1018 »

Dang it! We have it all lined up and have been jiggling and wiggling it around and it won't seat.
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

if ya have the t-case on it,grab the rear flange and see if ya can turn it. has to be in gear
tmg1018

Post by tmg1018 »

Yep it turns
tmg1018

Post by tmg1018 »

And it's in gear
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

k, so the splines on the input shaft havent reached the clutch disc yet.did you use a alighnment tool?
tmg1018

Post by tmg1018 »

Yep used it. And rechecked it After several hrs of mess g with it. Still aligned but it's not going in.
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

not to ask a dumb?????? but is the disc in the right way? did you try the disc on the input shaft first. how much the the machine shop take off the flywheel??