loud clicking when the wheels turn semi-hard to either side

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
oneway

loud clicking when the wheels turn semi-hard to either side

Post by oneway »

so this literally just happened. It wasn't a problem yesterday or at any other time. It snowed here yesterday and the 4x4 worked good. I left the 4x4 engaged overnight. Got in the truck this morning and when I try to make a semi-sharp turn, the steering wheel fights back and the truck acts as if the brakes on the passenger front are on and there is this loud clicking/grinding sound coming from the back. When driving straight, there is no problem.

I looked under the truck and nothing is broken, cracked, no wires are being tugged on when I turn the wheel far to each side.

This happens with 4x4 engaged or not.
1990 Bronco II 4x4 2.9 auto
1999 Suzuki GSXR 750 (street & track - modded)
1997 Suzuki GSXR 600 (track only - modded)
oneway

Re: loud clicking when the wheels turn semi-hard to either s

Post by oneway »

the problem seemed to have go away after I got to work :wtf: :rolleyes2: I checked the power steering fluid HOT after I got to work. It is not in the HOT range, but still visible in the neck of the pour spout. I will add more and see if the problem persits. It apparently only happens until the fluid warms up after driving for a bit. I will see if the problem is still there when I leave work once the fluid has had all day to cool down.

Still not sure how low fluid will make the truck feel like the brakes are on and cause loud popping, clicking, grinding in the back when trying to make sharp turns.

4x4 was awesome during our snow storm yesterday though. Cars were stranded everywhere. I was just chuggin a long lol.
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

It sounds like your hubs could possibly been stock in the locked position and the tension while turning was causing some binding. Just a guess though.
oneway

Post by oneway »

could that have happened leaving the 4x4 engaged overnight in freezing temps? It snowed really bad and snow piled up all around the vehicles. Everything is in working order now (I made tight turns inside a parking garage and didn't notice the problem) If it appears again after work, I will know it's the fluid and not the hubs.

the vaccuums that lock the hubs (automatic) appear to work fine. The only issue I think is with the front driver's side hub. When 4x4 is engaged, there is a constant clicking that goes faster the faster I go and get slower as I slow down. This is any gear and reverse.

To disengage the hubs, I have to shift to N, turn off the 4x4, then drive backwards for about 10 feet or so (per the manual). This does disengage the hubs, but the clicking is still there in the driver's side hub then after driving for a bit, I do the reverse for 10 feet thing again and the clicking goes away. The manual says in extreme cold temps, the hubs may be harder to disengage. So I guess once the fluids and everything warms up after a bit a driving, then it works fine. I dunno.

If I can get $500 for the truck as-is, I'd be happy. I still drive it everyday.
04sd

Post by 04sd »

oneway wrote: the vaccuums that lock the hubs (automatic) appear to work fine.
There is no vacuum on these hubs. Probably one of your hubs was hanging up, the best fix is to install manual hubs.
Bill
1990 BII, 4.0, (sold)
2005 F150 SCrew
'84 Ranger under construction
oneway

Post by oneway »

damn I thought I read that on here. Any idea what would cause a hub to hang up? I've had this truck for about 2 years and this is the first time it ever happened.
04sd

Post by 04sd »

On a 20 year old truck :D
dirt, wear, water, etc.
Given that on most of these rbv's the hubs come of when you pull the wheel since the factory retainers are long gone, and the o-ring seal is either damaged or missing, it's real easy to get undesirable stuff in the hubs.
Bill
1990 BII, 4.0, (sold)
2005 F150 SCrew
'84 Ranger under construction
oneway

Post by oneway »

ah ok. Thanks. maybe it can be cleaned.
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

oneway,

A good investment is a front Hub socket. You will never get the hubs set up correctly without it. Some people use a Punch or chisel and they bugger up the Nut. Anytime you Hubs go under water or into deep mud it would be a good idea to clean the hubs and Repack the wheel bearings on the front end as soon as possible.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
oneway

Post by oneway »

thanks I'll look into that.

haven't had the need for 4x4 since it happened and she's doin good now. So if it happens again, I'll look into cleaning them or replacing what may be needed.