Driveline issues

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
TheAustinB

Driveline issues

Post by TheAustinB »

I have an 89 B2 and I just recently busted the rear driveline at the joint, and instead of the normal U-joint I'm used to I found a smashed cage thing that would(if it wasn't smashed) hold I think 4 or 6 ball bearings. Is this a stock driveline for the 89 B2's or something funny someone put in? The only reason I ask is that I have been to about every driveline shop in town and nobody can work on it, they insist I'll need to have a new one built or go out of my way to have someone put universals on my piece. I have also checked many of the nearby u pulls and this piece isn't at a single one. Has anyone else had to replace this? And if so, what was your remedy or experience?
Mud Addict

Re: Driveline issues

Post by Mud Addict »

Yes that is factory CV driveline. For mine I got a driveline from an Explorer Sport and shortened it 6.5 in. If you have a 7.5 rear you will need to get another flange from the front half of the rear driveline. The Explorer has an 8.8, which has a larger bolt pattern. But the flange for the rear output of the transfer case is the same as the 7.5. After shortening it you will need to have it balanced. :D Hope this helps you :D
TheAustinB

Re: Driveline issues

Post by TheAustinB »

Yeah that helped. Not too much different from my first option but it sounds like that shaft would probably be easier to find. I had a new one build to be sure and it works well. My truck's in great shape now I hope to get out the camera for a little photo shoot of my horse.