Bad clutch?

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
tmg1018

Bad clutch?

Post by tmg1018 »

My 85 B2 is shifting strange. It's new to me so not sure if it has always done this but hope you all can help me figure this out.

The clutch peddle does not feel like it has too much play or spongy at all. When I shift (no matter what gear) I need to let the peddle almost completely out and give it extra gas. No noise or vibration out of the ordinary. The guy I bought it from said he thought the clutch just needed adjusted but in researching I have discovered I have a hydraulic clutch that can't be adjusted? I have found very little on any of the boards to help me out with this.

Help!
didittwice

Re: Bad clutch?

Post by didittwice »

If the clutch is not slipping it is not bad , it dose sound like it is worn down and will be going out.
dose that have the 2.8 or the 4 banger
Mine is 86 so i do not reserch any thing older.
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

didittwice wrote:If the clutch is not slipping it is not bad , it dose sound like it is worn down and will be going out.
dose that have the 2.8 or the 4 banger
Mine is 86 so i do not reserch any thing older.

they never had a 4cly
tmg1018

Post by tmg1018 »

Oh yeah definitely going bad, barely limped home tonight. Pedal is now very slow to come up after being pressed.

What is the cheapest route to fixing this you think? I'm a poor student. My dad can help me with the work but need to know about parts and such.

Thanks
didittwice

Post by didittwice »

Well put a new one in if you want to do it right you will need to check the fly wheel you clutch kit will come with the pressure plate but you do need the new slave cyclinder (do not put the old one back you will have to pull it and replace it will leak) I will be up to you on the fly wheel???

The clutch kit and slave cyclinder will run about 200.00
didittwice

Post by didittwice »

the best way to see go to autozone.com and put your info. in ..
broncofan

Post by broncofan »

Not to sound stupid, but did you check your clutch master cylinder level. Make sure theres no leaks in it. do the easy things first
2013 Taurus SHO LMS V11 tune, 06 F150 Harley-Davidson Edition,03 Mustang GT Conv, 97 Jeep GC Laredo 5.2, 84 BII
tmg1018

Post by tmg1018 »

It does appear that I might have a slow leak from the reservoir. Hard to tell for sure as the engine compartment is real dirty everywhere! I am going to be cleaning it up tomorrow morning before I do any other work. I sprayed it all down with some good degreaser tonight and will let it set for a bit and then spray her down.

I have found a few other old hoses that look pretty tired so I will be swapping them out too. Got my garage all cleaned out today just in case I have to pull her in there to change out the clutch. To darn wet and cold to be doing outside for sure.
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

tmg1018 wrote: Pedal is now very slow to come up after being pressed.
sounds like the slave cyl is hanging up. gotta pull the tranny
tmg1018

Post by tmg1018 »

Dang internal slave. I have heard about people with jeeps converting their internal slaves to externals. Any tech on how we can do that with our B2s?
bronco_ swimmer

Post by bronco_ swimmer »

I got my new clutch and flywheel at checker for about $170 i think. I had to pull mine last week. When you put it back in make sure you have extra hands there to get it in. Also before you do it leave it in gear (if you can) so that when you but the tranny back you can just rotate it and make it a ton easier. Goodluck..
tmg1018

Post by tmg1018 »

Thanks for the advice. I picked up a new clutch kit from criagslist for $50. Still can't believe I found that deal. Still looking for a decent priced flywheel someplace. I would like to just have mine resurfaced, hate to buy something new if I don't have to, but can't seem to find anywhere that can do it reasonably.
I can pick up a new clutch master cylinder for about $32 or so from a local auto parts shop, it's the dang slave that's going to kill me. Best price in town is still well more than $100 and online for around $60.
No way I'm goin to tear that tranny off and not replace the slave while I'm in there. I sure as heck don't want to get back in there in a few months to replace it if I don't.

I will probably be able to get started on it this weekend. I have some help coming over. I'm not sure how long it normally takes for that job but I figure I will at least double it since I have never done it and my help(dad) is slower than snot. Ha