How do I engage and disengage manual 4WD BroncoII ????

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
fboydthomas

How do I engage and disengage manual 4WD BroncoII ????

Post by fboydthomas »

Just bought a BroncoII 1988. It Has manual locking hubs. How do I Engage 4WD? How do I disengage 4WD? Thanks for any help!
oneway

Re: How do I engage and disengage manual 4WD BroncoII ????

Post by oneway »

i think you get out and manually lock the hubs (turn the hub on the outside of the wheel in the center), then put it in 4x4 using the gear shift. I dunno though...figured I'd provide some kind of answer so you don't have to wait 2 months. To disengage, you'd have to get out and manually unlock the hubs. It'll say it if you have access to an owner's manual. I think mine does and I have auto 4x4 - I'll check for you.
1990 Bronco II 4x4 2.9 auto
1999 Suzuki GSXR 750 (street & track - modded)
1997 Suzuki GSXR 600 (track only - modded)
RakerBill60

Re: How do I engage and disengage manual 4WD BroncoII ????

Post by RakerBill60 »

You do have to engage the hubs if they are manual. There will be markings on which direction to turn them. If you have an automatic trans, put it in neutral with your foot on the brake to engage low range. Sometimes you might have to let it roll a few inches to take pressure off of the driveline. To go from 2 high to 4 high most of the time it will go in w/o any problems, unless there is pressure on the drive line, then it won't go.
To engage low range from high range, you will need to move the lever to the left slightly then pull back, as there is a lock to keep it from going into low range to keep from tearing things up.