transmission or clutch

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
timsmith

transmission or clutch

Post by timsmith »

noobie here with my first b2 and some problems. driving up a hill with loose gravel in second gear, went to shift into first gear , depressed cutch pedal, shifted gears, released clutch and suddenly it quit pulling. now it wont engage any gear and rolls around like its in neutral. 1988 b2 4x4 5sp, did the clutch break or trans all at once decide to give up the ghost, any help would be great thanks, tim
timsmith

Re: transmission or clutch

Post by timsmith »

tough being the new guy...nobody wants to take a guess? sorry for bothering everyone
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

You need to give a little bit more information.

Based on what you said I would guess your problem is a clutch slave cylinder. Sounds like it won't disengage the clutch so you can put it in gear.

If you shut the vehicle off and put it in gear and hit the starter will it move then? If so it would mean your clutch slave cylinder or clutch master is bad.

I have also seen a severely worn clutch cause lack of disengagement.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
timsmith

Post by timsmith »

thanks for the reply... no it wont budge if you try even that. I put it in gear with and without using clutch. it will not catch in any gear. when you shift the gears the shifter feels like it is not catching anything. could it be possible that the flywheel bolts broke loose..I am just grasping at straws here, I am bumfuzzled. Thanks Tim
drofman

Post by drofman »

sounds like you gotta pull the trans and see if the clutch is any good, if good then go to the trans.
RakerBill60

Post by RakerBill60 »

Check to see if the shifter itself is broken in the top of the tranny. There is a pin in there, and if it or the shifter has broken in the tranny, then it won't engage any gear, and it will feel loose, and you won't be able to shift to any gear. It is possible that when you down shifted it may have broken then. I have had that happen in the past with other tranny's.
RakerBill60

Post by RakerBill60 »

Also if the flywheel bolts are broken, it wouldn't be able to start. So you either have a clutch problem, or a busted tranny. Sorry for the bad news.