4x4 FUSE Question HELP

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
WityWot

4x4 FUSE Question HELP

Post by WityWot »

Hey Everybody!!
Quick Question:
I have a 1990 BRONCO II 4x4 / It has auto locking hubs / push button on the fly buttons on the dash
My question is,
In the Distribution Box located by the motor, I am missing the 40AMP Electric Shift Fuse. Do I need this on MY Bronco??
The switch light on the dash lights up AND aslo the 4x4 light comes on by the collum.

I can't sleep and need to know about this FUSE!?! I'm worried that this WHOLE time I thought my 4x4 was working but in reality all that has been working is the Auto locking hubs!

If the hubs lock, does that make the front drive shaft and tires rotate with the whole system? and then when you tell it to go in to 4Hi then the transfer case POWERS the front end?

Sorry for these Questions! Just worried also that the previouse owner removed the Transfer case FUSE/Electric Shift fuse because the 4x4 did not work!? :mad: I will be pissed That I did NOT 100% the system before I purchased it off the guy.

THANKS in addvance everyone.
1990 Ford BRONCO II XLT 4x4
WityWot

Re: 4x4 FUSE Question HELP

Post by WityWot »

Anybody??
WityWot

Post by WityWot »

Help
WityWot

Post by WityWot »

I have the 1990 XLT Bronco II

Can someone check their fuses.

HELP
dixie281

Post by dixie281 »

Oh man, without that fuse your truck will blow up next time you start it!! I happened on mine...lol JUST KIDDIN but in all seriousness the auto hubs can't engage unless the transfer case shifts into 4 Hi or Low first. The hubs are not electrically connected in any way to anything, they are mechanically locked in when the front axles start turning. For that to happen the 4 wheel drive has to be working too, so if you are 100% positive your hubs have locked in then your 4 wheel drive must be working too. Which of course implies that your electric shift motor must be working. A quick way to check is just put it in 4 Hi and see if the 4x4 indicator on the instrument panel comes on. This light indicates the actual transfer case gear, not just the command from the switch, so if it comes on then the transfer case has shifted to 4 wheel drive. You could also have someone crawl under the truck while you shift it with the power on but the engine off. Have them listen to the shift motor while you shift. Don't forget to set the park brake and chock the wheels before you do this.
WityWot

Post by WityWot »

Thanks SO much!!
I was going to put it on jack stands (4) and check it that way also.

So that fuse is NOT supposed to be there then?

Thanks again for you Help and Reply :smilie: