On The Fly Four Wheel Drive

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
WityWot

On The Fly Four Wheel Drive

Post by WityWot »

Hey everybody!

Just Joined here, and I also JUST purchased a 1990 BRONCO II XLT 4x4

I am a little worried about my 4x4 system? Never owning one I do not know all the new sounds and noises?
When I push the button on the Dash for (4Hi) I here clicking on the drivers side, about three to four. Its hard to tell if its in 4-wheel drive or not. The light on the dash after the few clicks says that I am in 4x4 and turning seems harder. When I click (4Hi) again to turn it off it takes about 40ft till I hear a clunk. Also ists not very consistant on its getting in right away and getting out right away.

I guess what I would like to know from everyone is, what process do you take and what truely should occur when getting in to (4Hi)/ 4x4
Sounds noises the feel of the drive?

THANKS in advance! :D
1990 Ford BRONCO II XLT 4x4
WityWot

Re: On The Fly Four Wheel Drive

Post by WityWot »

:idea:

Could there be a good chance that it sounds a little ruff right now due to lack of usage from the previous owner? Just tried it out again and things seem a little OK but it did make a 4x4 type wine a little louder then I would have expected. I got it up to 30MPH and let off.

Gonna go have a Beer and think about it all. I want to make plans to re do all the fluids in the Difs and transfer case...... Tips Welcome on that as well.

- Will
WityWot

Post by WityWot »

I orderd a Chilton Book for my year Bronco.

I orderd it off ebay for $8, BUT its taking 15+ days to get! My plans are to study the Crap out of that book. My goal is to try to do as much of the repairs as possible. Saves money and I WANT to do it.

I'm overwhelmed with the responses to my questions!?! I hope the Chilton book talks about the 4x4 on the fly stuff because its tuff just getting some quik BRONCO II talk around here.
drofman

Post by drofman »

Do you have auto front hub? It's easy to see if the transfer case is working in 4x4, try turning the front driveshaft by hand when engaged. Auto hubs have to move a little so the sprags line up. If one doesn't lock up, the pinions will just spin=no front drive. If you have autos, don't forget to back up after going into 2wd.
WityWot

Post by WityWot »

Hey,
I do have the auto locking hubs. I was just under there the other day an was able to turn it about one whole turn but then it stops.

Is it mandatory that you drive in reverse every time you are done using the 4x4? I just won a 1990 Bronco II Owners Manual on Ebay. Mine did not come with one. Hope I didn't win it over someone here?? :D

Thanks for that info!
drofman

Post by drofman »

yep, it's good thing to do
4x4bronco

Post by 4x4bronco »

The clicking is normal. I have an '89 and wondered the same thing when i first bought it. Although it is not necessary, I have found it "takes" 4WD easier and more consistant if you just stop and put the tranny in neutral then engage the 4WD. Also, it is necessary to reverse for a few feet after being in 4WD to disengage your hubs. You might find it helpful to pull the electrical connections from the tranny and transfer case and clean them good with some contact cleaner and maybe a little tlc on the selonoids will help. Hope this helped some. Tony
WityWot

Post by WityWot »

Thanks,

That sounds Like a Good I dea on the cleaning the contacts. Never know what the previouse owner has done with this BRONCO?
dixie281

Post by dixie281 »

Well, the clicking you hear in the dash is the relays in the electronic 4x4 controller. Mine clicks 3 or 4, sometimes more times whenever I shift, it's normal. As far as taking a while to go into 4x4, well yeah the transfer case begins the shift immediately, and as soon as you get the 4x4 light it means that the transfer case is engaged in 4x4. It's the auto hubs that take a while sometimes, I hate mine and plan on replacing them with manual locking hubs.

As far as having to drive in reverse when you are done with four wheel drive, all that does is unlock the auto hubs. If you forget/don't want to, all that will happen is your front axle will turn along with the front wheels. As long as you shift back to 2 Hi, there won't be any problems.

Also, don't drive in 4 wheel drive on pavement for any appreciable distance, you'll wreck your transfer case, but driving with front hubs locked in 2 Hi on pavement is ok. Just might hurt your gas mileage a little. :-)
WityWot

Post by WityWot »

Thanks again!

I would almost rather have manual locking hubs myself!

I was figuring that the 4x4 was not being used that much with the previous owner and may be a little sticky or froze up a little. I wanna be 100% with my 4x4 before this coming winter.

I may be checking all my Transfer case / axle fluids. When buying it off someone I want to know how old things are on it like fluids and just get all those redone fresh so I can document and keep it a well maintained machine.

Just did the rear brakes on it, It was my first time doing Drum brakes!

Thanks a Bunch!
oneway

Post by oneway »

I have the same year/4x4 set up - not XLT though.

You'll notice getting the hubs to engage will be slightly harder than usual when it's really really cold out....especially if snow piles up around the car. Even says it in the manual. Just let it warm up first then plow outta there.
1990 Bronco II 4x4 2.9 auto
1999 Suzuki GSXR 750 (street & track - modded)
1997 Suzuki GSXR 600 (track only - modded)