no power plugs and intake sensors or controls clogged

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
zookeyknee

no power plugs and intake sensors or controls clogged

Post by zookeyknee »

My 87 Bll gets decent mileage 17 ave cruises 55-65 just humming along.But accelerating is like its pulling A 2 ton trailer. lack of power not missing to my ear .Pulled codes all oK even told me my cruise / starter interlock had a short that iv known since I almost blew her up when trying to downshift in cruise and hit the clutch didnt fix that since same switch does send signaIl to say clutch down so I can start it so computer code thing does work. My 2.9 has 40k miles on it since installed 1995 it was a camp truck for14 yrs til I got her a year ago replaced all hoses major tune up lots of TLC all new relays three of them as they can drive you crazy with some running f-pumps yes two while one actually powers another which is your guesse as to which powers EEC,injectors,coils etc. Almost lost My FORD Faith but am over it ha-ha Grrrr. what I see Wrong is since it was used 1-2 wks a year the valve seals are shot It gives a puff of white smoke each time its started then stops smoking uses a qt ea 1200 mi. ive replaced plug wires twice plugs twice also the plugs all had a lots of white powder on them cleaned once w wire brush replaced rather then clean 2500 mi ago. I looked at plug color pics on back of Haines man & nothing came close to my plugs condition they werent fouled to non functioning but bad looking puure white lots residue. Power issues same with fresh plugs dist roter cap new new coil cats not restricted air fltr new temp stays at 195 aside from fixing seals later what can I do to get some pep out of her stumped tried almost every hint on the Forum pertaining to prob checked most things thrice or more HELP Thanks for reading my mini story of my beloved Bll what am i missing?????
wmmichael20

Re: no power plugs and intake sensors or controls clogged

Post by wmmichael20 »

take it to the ford dealer they will reset the computer I dont know what they accualy reset but my 92 ranger would do like you said run ok and get good mileage but crappy acceleration so my brother in law who runs the ford dealers body shop said he would take it to work needless to say 65 dollars later I could get rubber in the first three gears and she run real good way better than that 2.9 ever had in the past bad thing was I had a battery go bad on me 2 months later and when I disconnected the battery the computer reset itself and back to gutless wonder so back to ford she went and all was well
zookeyknee

Post by zookeyknee »

Thanks will check dealer out for whats entailed it died on me two days ago again RELAYS i REPLACED THE third one and its running again just dont know when it will suddenly die on me again My 87 Bll has the third relay on pass fender under a plastic cover two have 4 pins one five parts place the five pin would work on all for replacement . The haines manual shows a fuel pump relay and EEC relay but I have two fuel pumps. The part supply computer search for relays also comes up with only two. Even the elect schematic shows two .If someone knows the function of these three relays two are in line higher on fend skirt the third down lower would give me a grasp on my problem. Thanks to any help .Then I can try the reset move
drofman

Post by drofman »

The lower relay is an A/C relay. 1 relay for both fuel pumps. lack of power could be a lot of things. check fuel pressure, plugged exhaust, timimg with spout disconnected, spark plug gap, plugs white running lean maybe vacuum leak, fuel filter. hows that for something to look at. I would make sure fuel pressure good 1st thing. The lift pump in tank will make it die then restart. Fuel filter always a good thing.
oneway

Post by oneway »

white plugs are a sign of too hot or too lean/too rich.

white plugs with pit marks (chips missing) is a sign of too hot/pre-ignition. Power loss could come from there if the plugs are firing too early in the stroke and the chamber is filled with too much air and not enough fuel or vice versa.
1990 Bronco II 4x4 2.9 auto
1999 Suzuki GSXR 750 (street & track - modded)
1997 Suzuki GSXR 600 (track only - modded)
zookeyknee

Post by zookeyknee »

Ive tried to get at the rear low press filter even bought a special strap wrench to open it and check the filter I cant get it to come apart have put so much pressure Im afraid of cracking the plastic case got new filter any hints or other replacement options if cant change it ????
RakerBill60

Post by RakerBill60 »

That rear filter you are talking about is not a filter! It is a fuel accumulator so your system always has fuel pressure. Don't break it! I have an 87, and the filter is under the drivers side exhaust manifold strapped to a plate with a hose clamp on the frame rail. You can get to it underneath from behind the front wheel. That's how I got to mine. Make sure and relieve the fuel pressure so you don't get soaked with fuel, and they say it takes a special tool to undo the clamps on each end, but all you need it a small flat bladed screwdriver to carefully pry them off. Be careful!
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

RakerBill60 wrote:That rear filter you are talking about is not a filter!

there is a filter in it

1986-1988 Ford Ranger Fuel Filter

outa my 86,
drofman

Post by drofman »

Nice post Dave
RakerBill60

Post by RakerBill60 »

I stand corrected. I did not realize they had put a filter in that spot. I could not get mine off either. I guess I will have to pull the whole piece out, and try to get it apart.
drofman

Post by drofman »

some do and some don't. not always a filter in it but good to check
tekatlarge

Post by tekatlarge »

Simple question? What is the compression readings on all 6 cylinders. I see a simple test not even mentioned. As was pointed out it looks like the engine has been running lean I would almost bet there are some burnt valves in there. Burnt valve symptoms come on slowly and one day your wondering why stepping on the gas in your rig seems like stepping on a noodle. It may even run smooth. Burned valves will rob power like you wouldn't believe. Run a compression test and to isolate the problem do a differential compression test.
The Tek @ Large
Coastal,Worshington
Livin life on the dole on the Coast
zookeyknee

Post by zookeyknee »

Will do a comp test soon as everything costs $$$$ so ill hunt around to get jt done. Dont see how burnt valve could be the root of all the power problems since it doesnt miss backfire or use exsessive amnts of oil. But you tweeked my curiosity to try it . Its about the only thing I havnt done in my quest for a normal power curve . I did call Ford dealers garage & mechanic never heard of Tweeking the computer. I think that because of all the salt used up in the U.P. that the Blls have gone almost extinct around here.So methinks I will have to reserect an older ford man who remembers them. In my area Iron Mountain Mi.with around 40 k people in area iv seen maybe 4 or 5 Blls around town. So Im left w EEC reset or valves.Its all I can do unless there is something else I missed. Ill post as I get these two suggestions done. Thanks all for lending me your experience and help. Ford Man 4-ever.