stock ride height

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
303lithgow

stock ride height

Post by 303lithgow »

I have two B2's both with the same 2157515R tires but one rides about an inch highter. The highter one has new shocks. Is that the differance?

Also the new shocks sure give a rough ride. The older shocks is a lot softer. I keep my tires pumped up to 45 lbs which is slightly less than the max allowed.

One final question: although both Broncos have the same size tires one is a P and the other is an LT. Whats the differance? They both have the same temperature and speed rating.
1986 Bronco II, base 4wd, auto
1990 Bronco II, XLT, 5 speed
1970 F250 Camper Special
1967 Kit Companion Camper Trailer
infantry

Re: stock ride height

Post by infantry »

ride hieght might be due to having 2 different models...your old shocks were wore out so they will be softer and the lt on the tires is for light truck
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

SHOCKS DONT HOLD WEIGHT
Welding fool

Post by Welding fool »

Ranger Dave wrote:SHOCKS DONT HOLD WEIGHT
Unless they're gas charged shocks, and even then it's only a slight amount of lift.
90redb2

Post by 90redb2 »

Shocks only absorb the rebounding forces of the spring and take up some the road shock they don't hold the wieght at all. Your vehicle with sit the same hight with or without shocks in it.
303lithgow

Post by 303lithgow »

90redb2 wrote:Shocks only absorb the rebounding forces of the spring and take up some the road shock they don't hold the wieght at all. Your vehicle with sit the same hight with or without shocks in it.
I'm "shocked" to hear that. Okay bad pun.

I was looking at the B2 from the side and it sits lower in the back. I thought it should sit a little higher. I have a 1970 F250 and the back sits two inches higher measured at center of wheel wells. My other B2 sits level and it corners differant. I have to baby it going around corners but the one with the lower backend corners great.

I think I'll put new shocks on it. Maybe even air shocks. I put air shocks on my Toyota pickup and it worked great. I could let the air out when empty and get a soft ride yet when I was loaded I could pump them up and keep the truck level.
1970 F250 Camper Special
303lithgow

Post by 303lithgow »

infantry wrote:ride hieght might be due to having 2 different models...your old shocks were wore out so they will be softer and the lt on the tires is for light truck
I know the P=passenger and LT=Light Truck but what is the differance? They appear to be the same tire. They hold the same weight, take the same pressure, and have the same speed & temp ratings.
1970 F250 Camper Special
303lithgow

Post by 303lithgow »

Here is a picture showing how it sits.

1970 F250 Camper Special
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

Ranger Dave wrote:SHOCKS DONT HOLD WEIGHT

didnt i say that
90redb2

Post by 90redb2 »

the one that sits lower in the rear is most likely like this because the leaf springs are sagged. this happened to mine. it will corner better like this because it has a lower center of gravity. i just replaced my leaf springs two days ago and it sits about an inch higher. if you want to replace your leafs and dont want a lift out of them then use some from a 2 door exploder.
303lithgow

Post by 303lithgow »

90redb2 wrote:the one that sits lower in the rear is most likely like this because the leaf springs are sagged. this happened to mine. it will corner better like this because it has a lower center of gravity. i just replaced my leaf springs two days ago and it sits about an inch higher. if you want to replace your leafs and dont want a lift out of them then use some from a 2 door exploder.
Best answer I've heard so far. I was suspecting the leaf springs anyway. On the 86 B2 the drivers side is slightly lower in the rear and on the 90 they are both sagging. I want to correct the 86 so it looks better but the 90 might be better off as it keeps more weight on the rear wheels.

I will be towing with the 86 and not with the 90.
1970 F250 Camper Special
90redb2

Post by 90redb2 »

like i said explorer sport 4x4 rear leafs will bring it back up to original ride hight if they too are not sagged and they would be better for towing because i belive that most have an overload leaf. depending on how heavy of a load you are towing you may want to go with ones from a 4 door 4x4 explorer. they will lift the rear about 2-2.5" but when your not towing it would have a large rake angle.
forman621

Post by forman621 »

What the heck are you doing putting 45 pounds of preassure in your tires. It is only supposed to be at most 35 PSI. Check your door jam!
303lithgow

Post by 303lithgow »

forman621 wrote:What the heck are you doing putting 45 pounds of preassure in your tires. It is only supposed to be at most 35 PSI. Check your door jam!
I know what the door jam says. I go by what is on the tires. This debate has been going on ever since Firestone and Ford teamed up. If you remember the tires on the Explorer were separating. Firestone said it was Ford's fault because they told people to under inflate them. Ford said it was Firestone's fault because they built a tire that required so much pressure.

Every Ford car/truck was sold with Firestone tires up untill the Explorer issue.
1970 F250 Camper Special
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

whats on the tire is for maxium load. passengers and cargo. and at 45lbs the tires will be Bald in the middle