need help clutch

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
bkimbrel

need help clutch

Post by bkimbrel »

i have a 1984 bronco 2 everytime i push the clutch in the hydraulic clutch line is sucking in air,does anyone know where i can get a new clutch line or is there anyway to fix it.i would really appriciate the help.
Skywagon Jim

Re: need help clutch

Post by Skywagon Jim »

I'm also in an '84, and have just finished replacing everything in the clutch and linkage (master and slave) after a rebuild of the 2.8 V6.

We went thru fits finding parts, of course. There are 4 or 5 different configurations of the master, hose and slave. Some parts books say you must buy the unit complete. We bought and installed each of the three as a separate piece. The link up is a simple slide in as far as the O ring and lock with the transverse roll pin.

BE VERY TEDIOUS WITH THE BLEED PROCEDURE!!! A little bit of air is disaster, as you know. That's MY current problem. After doing all this right (repeatedly) my clutch won't release. Any ideas, anyone?

It sounds to me like you have a leak somewhere (tubing from the reservoir near the master or master/slave tubing). You can replace component parts.
broncofan

Post by broncofan »

to the first guy, have you tried LMC truck. they have lots of Bii parts.

the second guy are you checking to see if the clutch fork is engaging, remove the slave cylinder from the bell housing if you have to and have someone depress the clutch pedal if the rod moves its prob internal. if its moving see how much pressure it takes to push it back in, should be really hard to do if it goes easy theres prob still air in it
2013 Taurus SHO LMS V11 tune, 06 F150 Harley-Davidson Edition,03 Mustang GT Conv, 97 Jeep GC Laredo 5.2, 84 BII
Skywagon Jim

Post by Skywagon Jim »

Second guy says------Thanks for the help. Set up to bleed again today, and we'll try your plan. Also heard a good hint from the Ford garage shop foreman about pulling UP on the clutch pedal while bleeding with vacuum from top end. That ensures that the orifice that allows the reservoir to feed the master is open.
Skywagon Jim

Post by Skywagon Jim »

Now have bled and rebled with all ideas available. Clutch does not release completely. I decided to get in detective mode, so made a plate to fit over slave cylinder opening on bell housing with all thread. Screwing in the rod gives maximum fork travel. I went in a measured 2 7/8" until I got interference (rapid clicking heard) and the clutch still does not release. (The evidence is grinding on trying to shift in to reverse.)

I'm thinking we have the wrong parts which came in the "kit" for clutch replacement. It included clutch plate, pressure plate, pilot, throw out bearing and throw out carrier bracket.

Anyone have experience or ideas that may give me a clue? I have the 84 light truck parts microfiche from Ford, since my very acommodating local dealer was about to discard them. They are an odd format, and I haven't yet found a reader that will work.