5.0 Install

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
BerryBros4X4

Re: 5.0 Install

Post by BerryBros4X4 »

If the battery only has 10.55V after charging, it has a bad cell and isn't any good. Each of the 6 cells in a 12V battery contribute 2+V (or is supposed to) for the overall 12V. Using jumper cables from another battery won't help much, when you use jumper cables you are hooking the 2 batteries in parallel. But, as Dave said, if you have another battery to jump from, just try using that battery in your truck, or as you said, just get a new one. Good luck.

Clint Berry
BerryBros4x4
Anderson Alaska
onewontwo

Post by onewontwo »

My apologies rangerdave I mis understood what you were asking of me. Berrybros/ rangerdave I took the battery to wal-mart and it was showing a dead cell. It was still under warrenty so I got a free one. So I was trying to jumpstart it through this dead cell. I really hope the battery was the problem. I'm going to find out tomorrow. Those valve covers were not the ones that came with it so that's why they sit low. I'll keep you posted.
onewontwo

Post by onewontwo »

Soooo.... My bronco starts.... but..... Somewhere I mixed up some wires and I'm only getting spark in the "start" position. As in when I go to start it. So It shuts off as soon as I stop cranking. If I figure that out I'll be set. One other issue, I have oil blowing out of a hole by the where the oil filter adapter bolts to the block. If you would be facing the this like you were installing the adapter the hole is to the left. Can some one tell me what to do with this. I have some other loose ends to tie up and after I drive it I will have a full write-up with everything I went through, including my thoughts on everything. Thanks in advance guys.
BerryBros4X4

Post by BerryBros4X4 »

Check for power at the coil and the distributor with the ignition switch in the run position. :)

The only thing I can think of for the oil coming out of a hole by the oil filter adapter is a missing oil pressure switch. Maybe the pressure switch from the original engine will fit in the hole. Does the oil pressure gauge work? Be sure to check that after you get the oil leak fixed and the engine to run without the ignition switch being in the crank position.

Clint Berry
BerryBros4x4
Anderson, Alaska
onewontwo

Post by onewontwo »

My old motor didn't have an oil pressure gauge, just a tempurature gauge. Can I just plug the hole?
onewontwo

Post by onewontwo »

Its running good now. I had a bad resistor, which wasn't allowing the switched voltage to the coil. How important is this resistor?? Can I ask what other's did for radiator hoses? Year/ Make/ Model would be awesome. Mine won't work. My clutch line has a leak in it, so I need to address that. After that I want to make things a little neater and then it is time for a test drive!!
onewontwo

Post by onewontwo »

My clutch is leaking at the master cylinder where that roll pin is used to hold in the fitting. It is actually squirting out the roll pin. Brand new master cylinder too. So what do you think the problem could be?
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

onewontwo wrote:My old motor didn't have an oil pressure gauge, just a tempurature gauge. Can I just plug the hole?

yup
ya dont need that resister
take the master cyl back
onewontwo

Post by onewontwo »

I got the speedo hooked up. I'm pretty sure I got the temp gauge hooked up right. I hooked the wire right above the thermostat housing on a small post. I'm honestly not sure what to do about the tach. I have no clue what wire it could be. I have a haynes manual but it does not say anything about the instrument cluster.
onewontwo

Post by onewontwo »

I bought a brand new radiator for an explorer. It is huge. I shouldn't have any cooling problems between this and my electric fan. I also got a clutch master from an 89 ranger. It isn't plastic so I shouldn't have to worry about this one breaking. I also bought a new clutch line. I'm not sure I need it, but I got it just in case. I picked up a lower radiator hose for a 99 explorer. Looks like it should work. This weekend I plan to install the radiator and fan. Replace the clutch master and get that working. And hopefully if I have time make a cross member.
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

onewontwo wrote: make a cross member.

make a crossmember???
onewontwo

Post by onewontwo »

Yeah for the tranny. I have something in mind. Should work out good. That radiator is huge and I have to do some cutting so it will fit. I need a compression fitting to adapt the clutch line.
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

i used the stock when i had the 302 435/205 in my 83 ranger
onewontwo

Post by onewontwo »

I got rid of that one when I did the SAS.
onewontwo

Post by onewontwo »

I have a coolant leak coming OUT of a small hole under the water pump. This hole is from the factory so it is supposed to be there. I have no idea what to do now. Any input on this would be great.
I don't believe this is a factory pump, but it is the hole where the metal is rising up for the pulley to bolt on.

http://i7.ebayimg.com/03/i/001/3d/93/005b_1_sbl.JPG