Lots of smoking :/

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
redemption

Lots of smoking :/

Post by redemption »

**EDIT**

Got to look at it in the light today when I drove it to work, in the 5 minutes it took to get here, the engine was already smoking.... Looked up some stuff on the internet..

Engine smoking, white smoke in exhaust, water coming out tailpipe.... = blown head gasket, probably warped heads too... so the bronco is dead.

vids:
http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2evxpxw&s=5

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2zzhx7a&s=5
Can't really see the smoke that well on this shitty camera...
see.JPG
:frown:

waiting on the guy I got it from to get back to me... might have another engine laying around..
Last edited by redemption on Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
broncofan

Re: Hello again folks.. new water pump and thermostat on, still.

Post by broncofan »

didnt really understand your post. picture of motor on stand? if all else fails drive the t-bird.
2013 Taurus SHO LMS V11 tune, 06 F150 Harley-Davidson Edition,03 Mustang GT Conv, 97 Jeep GC Laredo 5.2, 84 BII
redemption

Re: Water pump, thermostat replaced, only to find worse...

Post by redemption »

Okay, got off work, she fires up fine, drives absolutely normal all the way home, but obviously something is wrong..
Better pictures and video for ya:

Video: http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=125gsd5&s=5
1.jpg
The red circle.... I did see something wet come out around the ring of the bolt, and drip a little tiny dot.
2.jpg
3.jpg
So what can you tell a vehicularly retarded person about this...
Ranger Dave

Re: Lots of smoking :/

Post by Ranger Dave »

dont that motor sound bad,adjust those valves!!!. the smoke from the exh manifold looks oil burning off. whats the temp where you live??
clem

Post by clem »

I was thinking oil off the valve cover gasket. Is the smoke blue and stink? That's oil. I read your other posts, the brownish thing that gets hot is your exhaust manifold it gets real hot!!! If oil drips on this it will smoke like nobody's business.
'87 bII d44,9",np435/205and a 302 ( on hold)
'73 vw bug
'70 vw camper van
'98 jeep tj
2010 ranger
'56 international s110
redemption

Post by redemption »

remember I'm fully retarded about cars here :)

It's got over 160k on it it I think, and I'm pretty sure it's the original motor.
I live in Lawrence, KS. This time of year highs around 45-50, lows 40-30.

The exhaust from the pipe doesn't really smell all that different, and it's only sometimes coming out more than any average car, I just never noticed the water before.

The smoke from the exhaust manifold, well color-wise look at the video, it looks white to me, could have a blue tint, smells like death.

I'm sure the engine itself was on it's way out when I bought it, paid $450 for the car, it's a little sluggish getting from 0-25 then i'm normal from 25-45, then sluggish again, say I'm driving to the dog park, there's a long steep hill, if I hit it at the bottom starting at 60mph, by the time I get to the top I'm only going 40 or less mph foot to the floor. (before any of these problems started)

So you guys are thinking it's what, bad seal between the manifold?
I'm a low income 24 year old, no matter what the problem ends up being, I have a feeling it's going to be way too expensive at a shop. I'm kind of just waiting right now, to see what happens with the guy I got it from, he's just a really nice old guy I work with, does people lots of favors, said he's going to call his friend whom he got it from that owes him a favor, and see if he's got another 2.8 in his shop, said he'll swap the motor for $200 if he does... If not, I'm gonna have to let the bronco die.
oneway

Post by oneway »

water coming out of the tail pipe = blown head gasket??? is that right?

I thought the water was some how used in the cat to dilute the exhaust fumes = water coming out of the tail pipe. I thought if water comes outta the tail pipe, that's a good thing...means ur stuff is working. Water comes outta tail pipes on brand new cars....also when the AC is on or has been on.

To the OP, I'ma go with a bad seal or gasket. Mine looks the same way - oil covered, but I have no smoke and Midas just told me that my valve cover gasket needs changing.

Smells like death - are you burning coolant?
1990 Bronco II 4x4 2.9 auto
1999 Suzuki GSXR 750 (street & track - modded)
1997 Suzuki GSXR 600 (track only - modded)
redemption

Post by redemption »

That's how I roll, I real things and assume the worst... If you google symptoms of a blown head gasket, that's what it says, smoking engine, white smoke from pipe, water...

And I thought burning coolant was supposed to smell sweet? In the picture I circled the bolt, I'm pretty sure I saw black liquid come around the base of the bolt, and a drop form of the bottom left side.. So if it's not just at the seal, I'm gonna guess I need a new manifold too.
oneway

Re: Water pump, thermostat replaced, only to find worse...

Post by oneway »

redemption wrote:Okay, got off work, she fires up fine, drives absolutely normal all the way home, but obviously something is wrong..
Better pictures and video for ya:

Video: http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=125gsd5&s=5
uh yea man...i see some blue tint in that smoke. What happens under the hood when you step on the gas? Do you get more smoke? I also don't think the smoke it's coming from that screw...but hard to tell from the vid

that joint does sound like a tractor - agreed with ranger dave

ur tail pipe is fine. The water and smoke should go away once the truck is warmed up after you drive it a few miles.
redemption

Post by redemption »

I turn the truck on... it's normal for a good 7-10 minutes, that is when the smoke appears, does not matter if I give it gas or not from what I've seen.

Ya it was right after I quit recording that I saw the liquid come through the bolt, but I mean obviously, that isn't the only leak since there's smoke everywhere
oneway

Post by oneway »

i wouldn't worry about the tailpipe smoke. From what I've read - with these older trucks, oil can slip passed the rings and sit in the cylinder then when you fire it up, the smoke is simply the oil burning inside the cylinder. I think it even says that on the back of some Lucas Oil Treatment bottles. Maybe over time it could cause premature oil-fouling to your spark plugs. Regardless, the tailpipe smoke should go away once driving or if you let it idle long enough. Which is the reason why it should go away.

Shouldn't really cause any major problems as long as it's not a ton of oil or constant blow by (hhmm maybe you have bad piston rings). If you have a compression tester, take out the spark plugs and drop a small bit of oil in the spark plug hole, if your compression readings change for the better = you have bad piston rings.
redemption

Post by redemption »

Well, I'm on vacation from now til the end of the month... I'll check the spark plugs tomorrow probably... But since it's looking like the exhaust manifold, should I just try and find one at a junk yard and see what happens and go from there?
redemption

Post by redemption »

hmmph, well ... i just found this on youtube... pretty much same thing, obviously visually leaking more than mine, but same area, same amount of smoke... so i'ma go with hoping it's JUST the gasket... *to the parts store*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulvwqO6oWGg