hello, 89 broncoII i just bought it i have a few questions

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
samuelbarthelemy

hello, 89 broncoII i just bought it i have a few questions

Post by samuelbarthelemy »

I just bought an 89 broncoII 4x4 v6 4speed w/OD. Runs great and tranny is good, but when driving at highway speeds if I hit a pothole or something the steering goes crazy, and the steering wheel is loose like not very reactive, guy I bought it from said it needs a frontend alignment and rear shocks, I was just wondering if that sounds right to you guys. I appreciate any help or tips, thanks. That and any lift kits you guys would suggest, nothing big just so I can fit a little bigger then stock tires on it, or does anyone know what the biggest tires you can fit on 15 rims with stock height.
didittwice

Re: hello, 89 broncoII i just bought it i have a few questions

Post by didittwice »

Hi that sound right my 86 did the same thing I just put tierod on it and that help alot as for the lift the only thing have is add a leaf and that raise the back end up that what I know
samuelbarthelemy

Post by samuelbarthelemy »

Thanks for the reply, im gunna buy new tierods
drofman

Post by drofman »

if it ain't broke, don't fix it. check your tierods 1st. have someone move the steering wheel back and forth with the engine running, E brake on to check for looseless at tierods and draglink.
clem

Post by clem »

Check the radius arm bushings and the center bushing on the twin I beam system, I'm not sure what the proper name is, but it holds one of the diff sections in place. I would get a good mechanic to go over the front end of any project I get. The front end keeps you on the road, get it checked! -Jeff
'87 bII d44,9",np435/205and a 302 ( on hold)
'73 vw bug
'70 vw camper van
'98 jeep tj
2010 ranger
'56 international s110
C_Sanchez_A

Post by C_Sanchez_A »

not to change the subject or stealt the topic for you, but are '89 parts compatible with '84 parts?
1984 - Ford - Bronco II
1995 - Hyundai - Accent (R.I.P.)
1994 - Mazda - B3000
myprobe1991

Post by myprobe1991 »

I would check the pitman arm first, it is the easiest thing to check without having to do much. Unless, and I don't think they have them, a rack and pinion. I know ALL Chevy trucks and most Ford trucks have problems there. From my experience anyways.
clem

Post by clem »

There's NO rack and pinion on these, get your front end checked by a mechanic if you don't know what your looking for.
'87 bII d44,9",np435/205and a 302 ( on hold)
'73 vw bug
'70 vw camper van
'98 jeep tj
2010 ranger
'56 international s110
tickturd

Post by tickturd »

im running 29's on mine but i think theres room for 30's but you might hit the inner fender
BroncoII4Life

Post by BroncoII4Life »

I thought it was normal to lose control for a sec after hitting a large bump in the BII, it's what mine does. Steering wheel gets loose and sloppy, very scary. To be on the safe side I'd take everyone elses advise and have those main steering components checked.
dgl6y6

Re: hello, 89 broncoII i just bought it i have a few questio

Post by dgl6y6 »

The pitman arm doesnt go bad on these. the ball and socket joint is on the passenger inner tie rod. the pitman arm just has a hole in it. Dont think you can wear out the hole. haha