Another dumb question from me. Bronco ii 2.8 people.

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
redemption

Another dumb question from me. Bronco ii 2.8 people.

Post by redemption »

The coworker changing my water pump for me says when he got the pump off, a thermostat fell on the ground... Makes no sense to me or him where it came from. Anyway, here is my stupid question, in picture form.

This is where it goes, right?
before.jpg
after.jpg
There is no random spot down by the water pump with 3 bolts where it goes, right?
1 is the gasket that came w/ the pump, 2 is the gasket that came with the thermostat.
gaskets.jpg
My simple explanation is the guy i bought it from, dropped the old thermostat and it just sat down there until my coworker removed the water pump.

Sorry for the dumb question, appreciate the help.
Ranger Dave

Re: Another dumb question from me. Bronco ii 2.8 people.

Post by Ranger Dave »

the thermostat goes on the water pump
redemption

Post by redemption »

holy shit... for real?

every god damn thing i've read said, follow the upper radiator hose to the first housing... this is where the thermostat is... it is an EASY fix...

why on earth would it be placed in the water pump, that is a way more annoying job...holy hell i can't believe he was right after everything i read.... you seriously have to remove the fan, move half the shit in the front, take the belts off.... just to change a thermostat! i'm starting to dislike this truck.
redemption

Post by redemption »

just for my own satisfaction... anybody got a pic????????
Deuce

Post by Deuce »

Gasket number 1 goes with the thermostat and it mounts on the lower front driver side of the engine just in front of the leaky oil sender unit on the front of the timing gear cover. The three bolts that hold the thremostat gooseneck thread into a gooseneck on the rear of the timing gear cover and the threads often corrode away from both the bolts and the rear potmetal gooseneck. This can be solved with a longer set of bolts and some small M6-1.0 nuts for the back. If the threads are good, you should try to avoid removing, or breaking the seal on, the rear gooseneck. It requires an additional gasket that has three holes matching the front gasket and a smaller central hole (than the front one).
I have heard of people finding two thermostats in their engines as a result of the confusing gooseneck on the top, where you have shown the thermostat installation, but there is not a recess in the upper gooseneck. The lower location has a recess groove in it and most of the thermostats I have seen for the 2.8 come with an o-ring as well as gasket 1 above.
Ray
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

The 2.8L engine thermostat and housing is mounted to the water pump and connected to the radiator by the lower radiator hose.
drofman

Post by drofman »

besure to fill the cooling system up thru a heater hose so it don't air lock on you and overheat. this is important with these bottom t-stat motors.
redemption

Post by redemption »

dave and drofman, thanks for the quick replies and the help...
buddy is coming over in the morning and we're gonna put it all back together and hope that the water pump was the problem.

now i just need to check my sensors later and put a new handle on the window/gate and she'll be back to normal.