84 4.0 upgrade

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
bronco2newbie

84 4.0 upgrade

Post by bronco2newbie »

I see alot of tech knowlage on these forums. I was wondering if there is a site or discussion about putting a 4.0 where a 2.8 used to be. I have the Mitsu. 5spd trans. I have access to a 93 explorer with the 4L. I want to keep the 5spd or get a 5spd that will mesh. Can ya'll help this '84 bronco 2 newbie??
RICO9

Re: 84 4.0 upgrade

Post by RICO9 »

it can be done. you will need the computer, wiring harness, and the fuel rail from the 4.0. also swapping the dash will make things easier.
Colin

Post by Colin »

I am also a Bronco II newbie, having just bought a 1984 EB with the 2.8 motor, and I have access to a 4.0 as well but the guy who is willing to do the swap wants me to provide the parts that will be necessary. He has the 4.0 in a truck now and can use the computer, wiring looms and fuel rail from that truck, and motor mounts if needed, but what is this deal with the dash? What dash do I need to put into my Bronco II? And why is this desirable? And does the 4.0 fit to the 5 speed I have now? Really would appreciate all the help I can get from you intelligent guys. At this moment I am totally ignorant with regard to this plan.
bronco2newbie

Post by bronco2newbie »

From what I can tell, it will be much easier to modify the dash then to try and splice all of these wires hoping that I get it right. The other option that I am looking into, and maybe someone already has, is getting after market gauges that will slide into the exsiting dash holes AND will have the appropriate hook ups for a 4L explorer motor. I maybe wrong and crazy, but thats the fun of it for me!!
AJ :usa: