useing taps and reamer question?

Real world tips and tricks for the do-it-yourself ethusiast. Tools and parts that make life easy, and simple fabrication tips and tricks.
DBrown

useing taps and reamer question?

Post by DBrown »

I was wondering if anyone had advice for using a reamer and taps

I am working on my steering and got the reamer and taps for the chevy TRE conversion. wondering if ther are any tips or tricks to get a better result.

I planed to get some cutting oil for both and use my drill real slow for the reamer.
71 Bronco - twin sticked, full width, 2" lift, wristed arm, lots of rust...

http://www.catalystcycles.com
clem

Re: useing taps and reamer question?

Post by clem »

Using oil is good, also use the right drill for the tap, there are alot of tap drill charts online. Remember to go slow with the tap and clear the chips often by going backwards after every 1/2 to 3/4 turn. Do not reverse the reamer this will dull it, just go slow. Use something square to keep the tap straight at the start, check at different points around the taps diameter. Make sure your tap is made of high speed steel and not just high carbon steel, it should have HSS on it, high carbon is good for chasing threads. I hope this helps. -Jeff
'87 bII d44,9",np435/205and a 302 ( on hold)
'73 vw bug
'70 vw camper van
'98 jeep tj
2010 ranger
'56 international s110
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I've found that getting the taps started straight is a 1000 times easier if the end of the tube is perfectly square. My dad has a large belt sander that works awesome for quickly squaring up the tubes. I've also just used a file and checked with a square. Then I put one of the lock nuts over the tap as an additional guide to help keep things square when getting started. When you get the tap perfectly square, they cut so easily! I always do it by hand.

EBSteve hooked me up with a custom reamer that bumps the ID of the tube to the perfect diameter.
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

I have a chop saw I planned to use to cut my tubing. didn't think about using a nut on the taps though...good idea! thanks for the tips!

did y'all drill the knuckles first before reaming or did you just start on them with the reamer?

Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Chop saw won't cut square. Close doesn't cut it when you need to bury the tap.

Shouldn't need to drill first, but stop and check fit frequently so you don't go to far. The way to test is install the castle nut. you just need to be able to screw it on enough to get the cotter pin in.
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

cool, thanks for the advice...I will check the blade before I cut and double check and clean up the end before I put the tap to it. I'll let y'all know how it turns out!

Nobody

Post by Nobody »

So does this mean that work on your Bronco is underway?
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

lol...it depends on what you mean by underway?

I have been gathering tools over the past few months. doing some research and alot of thinking on direction of a few things. I have a few other parts laying around for other projects so I plan to set up those first as practice. to be honest...kids and work are killing me right now. the wife wants my attention on the house and I want to be in the garage. On top of all this shes after me for another little one. So....my progress is slow :frown:

Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I understand. I've been in the same rut for a couple years now. I haven't done any work on the bronco for about a year. I'm up to 3 kids too! :eek:

I'd like to see you and Phillipi get something on the road though.
Phillippi

Post by Phillippi »

Nobody wrote:I'd like to see you and Phillipi get something on the road though.
Me too... Me too.......
DBrown

Post by DBrown »

well, I got a 4x4 jeep but its a DD and I realy don't trust it to even hit mud holes. it's got the AWD system with the bad transfer case. so I am kinda in the middle. if I can ever get some time I think a few weekends would get me realy far on my F100. the Bronco has turned in to more of a long term project with a bigger price tag.

so how is the change from 2 kids to 3?