4.0 swap A4LD issue

Ask technical questions about your Ford Bronco II here. Technical write-ups on your axle swaps, engine swaps, chop tops, etc. are encouraged.
RomerB2

4.0 swap A4LD issue

Post by RomerB2 »

Well guys I've recently done a 4.0 swap but I have one problem. No overdrive or torque-converter lockup which I believe is caused by a couple of mismatched wires. Only thing is.. I don't know which ones! I was wondering if anybody else has stumbled with this problem I'm experiencing. The engine and computer came out of a 93 Explorer and I had the engine completely rebuilt. After having it rebuilt and got it in the truck, I found out that the transmission was bad so I had it rebuilt with HD parts as well. The tranny was the 90 Bronco II's and switches between 1-3 and reverse just fine since it's all mechanical there, but then it looks for a signal from the computer and it's not receiving any for the overdrive and TC lockup.

If someone has the Chilton's manual for a 92-93 Explorer and 90 Bronco II to help me know which wires to hunt down, that'd be great! I'm a college student paying my way through that so $$ is very limited and I can't really afford a manual now.
RClem

Re: 4.0 swap A4LD issue

Post by RClem »

Did the Explorer have an A4LD in it?
Ray
RomerB2

Post by RomerB2 »

Yes it did. The vacuum lines and the 3 wire connector are also connected.
RClem

Post by RClem »

This may help: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_li ... manual.pdf
You stated "3 wire connector", the A4LD in my back yard has a 5 wires going into the transmission, that lead back to 2 plugs, the gray has 5 prongs, the black has 4 prongs. This transmission is from a 92 Explorer.

Ray
RomerB2

Post by RomerB2 »

I'll have to check it out when I get a chance.
forman621

Post by forman621 »

hey i did that swap. except i got my a4ld from a 93 4.0 ranger. it went into a 86 bronco II 2.9. i still dont have an overdrive but i know why. the reason the 92 explorer only has a two wire connection, they changed to a three wire in 93, which i did not realize until after i got mine in. the only way i could think of would be to swap the old valve body into the new one with the old two wire overdrive sensor.

The three wire connection on the 93 controls overdrive with a reverse power supply IDK what you would call it, but instead of turning power on, it turns it off. then the third goes to the convertor lock up.

so that is the info I have.